Solar Panel Controller settings?

cruiser

I'm setting up my solar panel controller, am I correct in using the following settings?

High voltage disconnect: 14.1 v

Low voltage disconnect:. 11.6 v

Load on: 12.5 v

Two other quick questions:

Can I leave everything connected (including the panel) permanently, i.e: over the Winter.?

Should there be a fuse somewhere in the circuit?

Thanks in advance!

Controller type, panel power, battery type and capacity information would be useful.

It sounds that the settings you need advice on are for the load output terminals of the controller, if so where are they connected?

There should be a fuse near the batteries in the controller positive feed cable, suitable for the controller power output and cable current capacity. No fuse is needed between the panels and controller.

Mike

It's the CY1310 small 10amp controller (with the blue panel, as seen on the YouTube videos showing controller set up instructions)

The panel is a folding 12v 80 watt monocrystalline

Twin leisure batteries.

I set the controller using the voltages suggested on one of the YouTube videos, but it was an American video, so I thought I'd double check on a European level!

The high voltage disconnect is the voltage at which the controller goes into pwm mode and regulates the voltage on the battery to that level. This voltage should be suitable for the batteries, for normal 'leisure' batteries around 14.4 volts should be suitable, ( comments on this later),

The load lv disconnect and lv connect are associated with the load terminals that are not normally used . (the load terminals are used for things like remotel lighting control ).

Connect the battery pair via a 10 amp fuse to the controller center set of terminals , then the panel to the left hand set of terminals. Leave the load terminals disconnected. Go through the programming sequence in the instructions.

The problem with most of this series of controllers is that they do not drop to a low, float, voltage once the battery is charged, leading to overcharging if left permantly connectecd with a 14.4 voltage disconnect setting. The options are to manually reset to a lower voltage, say 13.4, once the battery has reached 14.4 volts for 2 hours. Or

as an alternative is to set a lower disconnect voltage of 13.8 volts. This is not ideal to charge the batteries but would be safe in the medium term. If the batteries are left for long periods the change the voltage disconnect to 13.4 volts.

You should consider a correctly designed solar controller that will look after the batteries. I recommend the Victron range,

https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers/mppt7510

Mike

Archived