Solar Panel Help Please

Davy2006

Hi, I'm new to this, converting a 2008 Citroen Dispatch, hoping to get advice before it rains as ive already cut a whole in my van roof :-(

I brought a Victron kit from Alpha B, includes panels, charge controller and mounts.

The problem is that the wires from the panel obviously won't pass through the glands for the cover which hides the hole because the MC4 connecters are attached.

I saw a youtube video in which he just twisted the connector's off and thats why I got started already, but I think it may not be as easy that and an MC4 tool maybe required.

I called alpha in the morning but no call back yet and called local solar businesses nearby but no ones picking up.

Can someone please advise, do MC4 connecters just twist off or do I need a tool, I've no idea at this stage.

Thanks

The glands shown appear to be 'in line' cable joiners rather than roof mounted cable entry points?

I would expect roof mounting glands to have a wide flange to enable watertight bonding and sealing to the roof, and possibly 90 degree angled entry points?

The caps usually unscrew, the compressible rubber gland opens up or comes out and the whole thing should be easy to fit - unless something is missing?

What is on the end of the cables designed to enter the van and connect to the regulator - in my case many years ago they were plain soldered tails designed to be screw clamped into the regulator and as such passed through the roof glands easily?

Are you sure you have all of the parts you need? Is there an assembly diagram to refer to?

Tracker raises an excellent point. The question worth asking is why you would want to run the cable from the solar panels through the roof gland and into the van’s interior?

The conventional approach would to use an MC4 extension cable which has connectors on one end to connect to the solar panel’s MC4 connectors on the outside of the van, and bare cables at the other end which can be passed through the roof glands and connected to the solar regulator inside the van.

Examples on ebay eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=2x+5m+DC+Solar+Panel+4mm+Cable+Wire+Extension+mc4&_sacat=0

I figured out the mc4 connecter issue, I just needed to route the open end of the extension cable first through the glands, yes I know, its only taken me the best part of a day to figure out but I appreciate the input.

This has however thrown up another head scratcher. There is a positive and negative coming out of the solar panel which is clearly labelled, the mc4 connectors on the extension coming out of the glands are also labelled positive and negative but both positive connecters are male and both negative are female.

The only way for me to now connect the cables is to take the positive from the solar and connect it to the MC4 labelled negative and visa versa but I'm presuming this wont be an issue as the extension cables are both exactly the same type of cable it's just the actual MC4 connecters that are labelled.

Can someone with knowledge of this please confirm that it's ok to make this type of connection.

Hnet.com-image-1.jpg.6e4592c6f8ced83fc0e1566f59701506.jpg

You were spot on, it was my oversight

BruceM - 2021-10-04 6:32 PM

Tracker raises an excellent point. The question worth asking is why you would want to run the cable from the solar panels through the roof gland and into the van’s interior?

The conventional approach would to use an MC4 extension cable which has connectors on one end to connect to the solar panel’s MC4 connectors on the outside of the van, and bare cables at the other end which can be passed through the roof glands and connected to the solar regulator inside the van.

Examples on ebay eg https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=2x+5m+DC+Solar+Panel+4mm+Cable+Wire+Extension+mc4&_sacat=0

Hnet.com-image-2.jpg.7bcf372c16ce8ec2fbe8cae0ec1292f5.jpg

Davy2006 - 2021-10-04 6:42 PM

Can someone with knowledge of this please confirm that it's ok to make this type of connection.

The cables are the same so no issue. If it were me, after threading the cable through the roof gland and with the solar panel connected to the cable, I’d use a multimeter to confirm which is the +ve lead inside the van and mark it with a band of red insulating tape. That’ll make future maintenance more straightforward. Also note that some solar regulators risk damage if connected to an active solar panel before connecting to the battery so best connect to the battery before connecting the solar panel. Alternatively cover the solar panel with a blanket to prevent it producing a charge until you’ve connected the battery.

Archived