Solar panel. Can it be removed?

Ralph

Been looking at the threads about the merits of solar panels and I was wondering if it's feasible to move a panel from one van to another?

Ie: If I buy one and decide to change the van do I have to wave it goodbye.

Also on a similar question, is DIY installation easy or is it really a professional job? I'm competent but quite nervous about drilling holes.

Hi Ralph, I think that removing solar panels before selling a vehicle is a good strategy as they are quite expensive and when changing vehicles we have enough to pay for without having to find money for those too, also I doubt if a dealer would allow anywhere near the value of these if you are trading at a dealership. I always fit mine with removal in mind, also the regulator and any 'extra' batteries etc. When fitting I'd recommend using a roof entry box to cover the necessary hole in the roof.

Colin

Glued down panels can be removed by using cheese wire or a thin blade to slice through the adhesive. Dont try and lever it off or you will crack the panel. Cut the glue line first - all round.

Mine is bolted to the roof rack and it will come off when I change motorhomes.

Ralph - 2007-08-02 8:49 PMI was wondering if it's feasible to move a panel from one van to another?

B-) I fitted 2 and removed and refitted 2. Just make sure you make good any holes in the roof. An ideal material for roof repairs in general (holes/tears) is something like Eternabond that I bought in the USA. But you can buy similar material here:-

http://www.statesidetuning.co.uk/spares5.htm

They do one for a Rubber roof and one for an Aluminium roof. ;-)

I have had the same solar panel on five vans. Two caravans and three MH. This has always been bolted to aluminium brackets glued to the roof.

On change just unbolt the solar panel and remove the wiring,regulator etc.

Inform the dealer at the time of placing your order. Most are unwilling to allow much if anything for the panel.

I've fitted 3 panels twice and no problem.

You can avoid drilling mounting holes - you'll still need one hole for the wires - by using Sikaflex. It's by far the best adhesive/sealant available and is what all the solar panel companies use. You will need about 6 angle aluminium brackets screwed and glued to the panel frame and glued to the roof. If the roof isn't flat (e.g., a van conversion), (1) make sure the brackets are big enough so the panel doesn't touch the roof in the middle and, (2) don't glue the brackets to the panel sides until after you've done the roof fixing.

It really is very simple. After removal, use the same Sikaflex (I think it's Skiaflex 226) to fill the wire hole, and then to re-fix to the next vehicle.

Most good solar panels are gauaranteed to give at least 90% of their rated output after 10 years and 80% after 20, so they have a long life.

Analternative to removal is to point that out to a purchaser and give hime a small discount to the hardware price if he buys them in situ as an extra - remember, he'd have to pay for fitting. Most will agree.

Mel E

====

I make my own brackets from aluminium.

Regarding the cable - this is passed through a waterproof gland which is fitted into a waterproof electrical box. The box is glued to the roof. Remove cable and reseal the hole in the side of the electrical box using a suitable gland/bung.

Hi,

How do you manage to tidy up the aperture left by the Fox display unit? I left the panel on my previous van primarily because I didn't want to sell a van with a hole in the panel where the display unit was mounted and at £500ish for a new panel it was an expensive decision. I'd like to remove the present unit when I sell unless I get a realistic price for it but I wouldn't want to buy a 'van with a mutilated panel. In my Rapido the display unit is mounted next to the instrument panel above the door and looks as though it was intended to be there from new. I suppose I could leave the regulator and display unit, I'd still save the cost of a new panel?

Bill Ord

Archived