Solar panel charging

IMP

Please forgive what may seem like a dumb question - to those that understand these things. I am, however, of the school that still regards electricity as the devils work!

So, here goes:-

When I have the disable switch turned off on the Sargent control unit on my Autotrail, does the solar panel continue to charge the leisure battery?

If, not, what happens to the electricity charge being created by the solar panel?

Thanks, in anticipation!!!

It depends which type of Sargent power control unit you have fitted but it may be the type that diverts solar power to the cab battery when the switch is turned off ,your handbook may confirm this,if you have one..

We had an 2012 Autotrail Frontier Scout with the Sargent unit and solar panel fitted as standard. It charged the leisure batteries all the time. We had a Battery Master fitted to top up the vehicle battery from the leisure batteries

I have just received a reply from Sargent - including a schematic.

Unfortunately, I cannot attach as the file is too large. In essence, however, it shows that the solar panel continues to charge the leisure battery, even in full shut down mode.

I can only commend Sargent for a full and prompt response - even in these difficult times.

• 3 months later...
IMP - 2020-04-08 11:17 AM

I have just received a reply from Sargent - including a schematic.

Unfortunately, I cannot attach as the file is too large. In essence, however, it shows that the solar panel continues to charge the leisure battery, even in full shut down mode.

I can only commend Sargent for a full and prompt response - even in these difficult times.

Hi, I am looking at the best way to add Solar to my AS Symbol. A schematic might be really useful - would you be able to put it up on google drive or somewhere like that so I can take a look?

Archived