Solar panel make/manufacturer recommendation

robdav

Hi

I've read most of the posts on this topic and Allan's website but unless I've missed it, I can't find any make/manufacturer recommendations for solar panels themselves.

Some must be better than others and I'd like to upgrade our 120W flexible panel with a decent 250W panel because the charge controller can handle it (Votronic MPP 250 Duo Digital). and we are mostly off grid.

Any make/manufacturer recommendations greatly received thanks.

Rob

I went through a similar process a year ago. I think that you’ll find that there are lots of subjective views but nothing that is reliably objective. My advice would be to read and understand the specs of the panels on offer having first determined your minimum construction criteria and then compare price against brand. This link
is an entertaining demonstration of the fact that contrary to the old adage, when it comes to quality price is not an indication of quality. In the end I selected a white labelled brand (so probably Chinese manufactured) from a volume supplier on eBay and bought two 100W panels. If a panel's full specification is not stated then I'd suggest you avoid it. If you’re seeking to fit a single 250W panel finding ones that are an acceptable panel shape and size to fit your van will limit your choice of suppliers/manufacturers.

Archived