Solution to Whale Water pump problem

keen canary

Hello all,

A couple of days ago I posted that I had a problem with the Whale water pump on our 2018 Eldiss 115 Autoquest . It would cut in then stop and then repeat this until switched off at the control panel. A tad annoying.

I asked for help and Derek kindly suggested a couple of You Tube video's on the subject of Whale water pumps and this exact problem. The video's suggested removing the pump, stripping it down and cleaning out any deposits, then to re assemble and this should cure the problem.

Before trying this I decided to ring Whale in Ireland and they were very helpful and suggested before trying anything else to flush the pump through with the usual tank cleaning fluid and using warm water , leaving it to stand for a couple of hours. Then to drain down the system flushing it out with several more litres of water. I explained that I had done this exactly before using the van for the first time since the winter and lock down and their reply was yes but sometimes you have to repeat this a couple of times especially if you live in a hard water area ( which we do ).

I Flushed everything through yesterday and presto problem has gone away.

To a novice like me that was a real result and I just thought this may help somebody with the same problem in the future.

Regards Keen Canary

Keen Canary

Other than the caveat that a Whale “Watermaster” automatic pressure pump MUST be fitted with a Whale strainer on the pump’s inlet side to prevent any dirt/debris from entering the pump (apparently the strainer is included with the pump when the pump is sold retail) there is nothing about ‘flushing’ in Whale’s Watermaster Installation and Operation Manual if the pump keeps cycling and won’t turn itself off.

It makes sense that - in hard water areas - limescale can build up inside the pump, but I don’t think there is anything on-line about a need to regularly flush through Watermaster pumps (or any other diaphragm pumps for that matter) to combat that build-up. Plainly Whale are aware this is a potential issue, so thanks for mentioning it.

Archived