Someone out there must have a highwayman Talbot exspress

Highwayman123

*-) I was hoping someone would come back to me with some help on my leaking roof and how to restore the roofing inside ,I know it's a problem with the highwayman I've actually stopped the leak at the moment but I need some suggestions if anyone has had this problem with the same vehicle and sorted it

I wait in anticipation

Col

Col,

I don't recall any other forum member posting about a Highwayman on here so unfortunately I think you're onto a loser with your request.

The only thing I could suggest is to try contacting Martin Watts who writes the 'Vintage Vans' pages in MMM.

Best of luck,

Keith.

Guest pelmetman
Highwayman123 - 2018-08-14 9:11 PM

*-) I was hoping someone would come back to me with some help on my leaking roof and how to restore the roofing inside ,I know it's a problem with the highwayman I've actually stopped the leak at the moment but I need some suggestions if anyone has had this problem with the same vehicle and sorted it

I wait in anticipation

Col

Unfortunately your in the snob section of O&L ;-) ............

They like to look down on us old motorhome/Autohome owners *-) ........

That said, you've stopped the leak at the moment is significant...........Coz it means you've found where it's getting in B-) ........

As for how to restore the damage depends on your DIY abilities, and whether the rest of your Autohome camper is worth the expense of going down the professional route :-S ..........

If the leak is a fairly recent event and the damage is minor then repairs should be inexpensive B-) .........

If its been ongoing for years and the damage is extensive.........then you may have to spend more than your camper is worth on "professionals"...........unless as I said earlier your "good" at DIY then your time could become a good earner :D ...........

Some pictures would help?........As I know from experience the roof lights are the usual suspects *-) ........

Guest pelmetman
Billggski - 2018-08-14 9:52 PM

But very few still on the road.

You'd be surprised ;-) ............

I pass more old Highwayman's than Travelhomes in the UK & Spain :D .........

But us Travelhomes were quite exclusive B-) .........

Col originally asked about this a few days ago.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Leaking-roof-on-my-motor-home-new-to-forum/50028/

There was a “Neal Farrow” who participated on the predecessor of this forum (13 years ago?) but the user-name is no longer ‘live’.

As Mickt mentions above, Dave Newell rebuilt a Highwayman. It's referred to in this 2006 forum discussion.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Talbot-Highwayman-Leaking-roof/1666/

it needs to be appreciated that the Out&AboutLive forums have a relatively small ‘user population’, so the chances of an active forum-member owning a specific motorhome are quite low. There might be someone on the larger forums (examples here)

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/

who owns a Highwayman and can help.

Otherwise there’s the Talbot Express Owners Club & Forum

https://talbotoc.com/

These van were always prone to leaks right from new back in the 80s and whilst I have never had the pleasure of working on one I have had the dubious homour of working on others of similar constuction.

The then common construction method was fo form sides and roof panels by glueing (often vacuum glueing) a polystrene foam panel with softwood battens as edges and cross roof support between an aluminium outer panel and a hardboard type pre decorated interior roof panel which was pretty strong when made but as age takes hold structural integrity weakens and constant movement sets in which caues water ingress ans so the process becomes almost impossible to stop completely.

The aluminium tends to corrode making holes, some of which may only be pinprick size and hard to spot and the roof joints tend to lose their watertight integrity all leading to rot of both the interior roof panels and more importantly the softwood frames.

When you start taking it apart you might find the rot goes a a long way along the woodwork and whilst the battens are not hard to replace getting at them is and will almost certainly mean taking out the high level lockers and removing the ceiling panel to gain access. Not technically difficult but time consuming and may mean a new interior roof panel.

At least with a van of that age an 'as new' finish is not essential and it is not hard to make it look good.

I am not a professional by any means as my repairs were always budget driven!

pelmetman - 2018-08-14 10:00 PM

Billggski - 2018-08-14 9:52 PM

But very few still on the road.

You'd be surprised ;-) ............

I pass more old Highwayman's than Travelhomes in the UK & Spain :D .........

But us Travelhomes were quite exclusive B-) .........

I bet they’re easy to pass, with the help of a walking frame. Got to go, must see if the staff have ironed my cravat and slacks properly.

I did have one and it didn't leak. However, it had a terrible gear change, no power steering, and the engine wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding. Later I had an Autohomes Wayfarer, and that did leak from new, but was repaired under warranty. (getting that done was a story in itself). It also started to leak some years later and this was under the trim round the luton. It was just before I traded it in, and it took a swift bit of DIY to replace the rotten wood.

Archived