Spain and towing a car with an A Frame

mw.turning

Guest peter
You are absolutely correct. A frames are all the rage in Spain at the moment. Much better than paying 20 Euros a week to hire one. Go for it. :D

There's a lot of information on this forum if you search A frames.

The consensus is that folk selling you the frames say it is legal, motorhomers say you will be stopped by the Spanish police and made to uncouple and drive separately.

Apparently only trailers are allowed to transport vehicles unless you need to be towed for a short distance when broken down.

(You may occasionally get sarcastic comments on this forum, just humour them)

Hi

My experience towing a variety of cars, usually cheap "Super Bangers", with an "A" frame through France and Spain, From the 90`s into the "noughties" was that they where a VERY grey area. Regardless of "legality" the fact was that of those who did it (myself included) some where Lucky. some where not! the Spanish Policia, (especially later on 2003 to8) seemed to be in some ways undecided, as to the correct procedure.

I have been overtaken many times by Local and Federal officers. and left alone. However on 3 occasions (Always a Sunday!) I was "pulled" by Guardia Civil officers on Motorcycles, I personally got let off with a warning all 3 times, which may have had to do with the fact that My wife is disabled and could not drive either of the vehicles, therefore leaving me with the option only of abandoning the car!. I was give a Verbal warning and sent on my way.

Others on the camp-sites, had been fined (in both cases overturned on appeal made through their Euro MP). Many had never ever been stopped.

IF I was to go back, I think I would go the Trailer route. It`s less hassle. But you may struggle to get it stored on site(s). One Guy at La Manga. Built a shed on his trailer on his pitch (seasonal) and used to to house a washing machine and Tumble drier!!. In the UK I have yet to speak to anyone who has been stopped, or even queried by a Police officer when "A" framing.

It was a factor in our decision to stop going to Spain, and to buy and use an R-V in the USA. where I can still run a 32ft rig and tow a Jeep. using the "A" frame, with no hassle and full cover. But then The Americans also Have more respect for their "Seniors" (and Veterans) who make up the bulk of long stay users, than the UK!

Pete

lennyhb - 2015-04-14 8:34 AM

A must have, gets the wife out of the van to drive the car, nice peaceful journey.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry to hijack the thread Lenny, but I have been meaning to let you know how much I admire your gallery, everytime I see some of the photos I jot down the location, add that to the list and just want to get up and go!

sean.clarke - 2015-04-14 11:08 AM

lennyhb - 2015-04-14 8:34 AM

A must have, gets the wife out of the van to drive the car, nice peaceful journey.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sorry to hijack the thread Lenny, but I have been meaning to let you know how much I admire your gallery, everytime I see some of the photos I jot down the location, add that to the list and just want to get up and go!

Thanks, always nice to hear.

Just brought a new compact camera (did consider an SLR) new one gives GPS location as well, but it doesn't appear to load the coordinates when transferring to a PC will have to investigate further.

mw.turning - 2015-04-13 8:20 PM

Hi.

I am looking for some information about towing a car with a A Frame.

I understand that you can buy an A Frame and have it fitted in Spain.

Any one have any information?

Looking forward to hearing from you. Michael.

No, you cannot. Towing one vehicle with another,is illegal in Spain, and new EU laws, meant for large HGV trailers also effect A-Frames in the rest of Europe. In the UK however it is allowed,just as long as there isn't suddenly a spate of accidents involving A-Frames, highly unlikely as they are at LEAST as safe as towing a car on a trailer, and probably safer, with a lower centre of gravity. In the USA towing another vehicle with an A-Frame is the 'Norm'. and has been for many years. It's only in the 'Loopy EU' that these type of 'Petty useless (and mainly ignored by the natives) Laws' proliferate.

Winding up a 'Newcomer' to this Forum is NOT funny, just petty and small minded. Just answer the question asked.....or keep your gob shut !

Ray *-)

Guest pelmetman
Rayjsj - 2015-04-14 2:24 PM

mw.turning - 2015-04-13 8:20 PM

Hi.

I am looking for some information about towing a car with a A Frame.

I understand that you can buy an A Frame and have it fitted in Spain.

Any one have any information?

Looking forward to hearing from you. Michael.

No, you cannot. Towing one vehicle with another,is illegal in Spain, and new EU laws, meant for large HGV trailers also effect A-Frames in the rest of Europe. In the UK however it is allowed,just as long as there isn't suddenly a spate of accidents involving A-Frames, highly unlikely as they are at LEAST as safe as towing a car on a trailer, and probably safer, with a lower centre of gravity. In the USA towing another vehicle with an A-Frame is the 'Norm'. and has been for many years. It's only in the 'Loopy EU' that these type of 'Petty useless (and mainly ignored by the natives) Laws' proliferate.

Winding up a 'Newcomer' to this Forum is NOT funny, just petty and small minded. Just answer the question asked.....or keep your gob shut !

Ray *-)

To be fair, its only since the doo doo hit the financial fan that the Spanish plod have started clamping down on A frames *-)............We still see the occasional A framer in Spain.......maybe they've been lucky....or maybe they like paying fines :D ........

Although its a perfect example of our so called common market in practice (lol) .........

Archived