Spain or Portugal

Ginger Jim

Hi all,can't decide whether to head for Spain or Portugal in February. We have never done either before, but being just retired we decided to give it a go in our motorhome. So would welcome any advice on campsites, wild camping or routes from France through Spain or where to head for. Similarly for Portugal also.

Many thanks

Ginger Jim

Ginger Jim - 2016-12-14 2:37 PM

Hi all,can't decide whether to head for Spain or Portugal in February. We have never done either before, but being just retired we decided to give it a go in our motorhome. So would welcome any advice on campsites, wild camping or routes from France through Spain or where to head for. Similarly for Portugal also.

Many thanks

Ginger Jim

Although you can sometimes be lucky with the weather in Portugal, we always delay getting there until the end of Feb at the earliest.

Head down through France, going as quick as you can, it will be cold. Use the Western route Rouen, Poitier,

Bordeaux to Biarritz. Use the peage, to get around the congested areas, believe me it pays both in terms of time and sanity! It's a holiday not an endurance test.

Cross to Irun then Pamplona, head towards Zaragoza but if you can cut the corner off and get to Teruel then Sagunt, south of Valencia.

Job done you're on the Costa Blanca! loads of p!aces to stay, sites, aires and free camps. Use 'em all. When you've trundled far enough, usually Malaga head for Portugal gives you the chance to visit Granada/Cordoba on route. Hope you'll find Portugal as we do, very welcoming, but remember the Algarve is a different "country" to the rest of Portugal.

Enjoy.

Another vote as above, Spain every time, better weather the further south you go, whereas Portugal can be very wet and cold in the winter. Nearly all the campsites in France are closed for the winter, but the aires are great, some with free electric, and generally well maintained.

We have just driven back from the Mojacar area of Spain, south of Murcia, Left on the Wednesday evening and arrived, via Dieppe to Newhaven on Monday evening. No stress, and a nice easy drive. No tolls!

Fuel is cheapest in Spain, around a euro, and in France, the cheapest 1.13€

As above, enjoy! (lol)

I would invest in ACSI, from Vicarious books. Well worth the£15.00 .It gives discounts for campsites out of season. Also maybe if you like aries then get the All the aires books as well.

France will be cold in Feb, so as stated previously, get through asap. Sites in the south of Spain will be fairly busy, but with the books you should not have any problems finding somewhere to stay.

weather better once you get past Valencia IMO.

Enjoy your first experience of both countries

And by the way welcome to the forums

PJay

Hi

We have been down the bottom end during Jan, Feb, Mar and early April. Portugal was sunny but very windy which meant we only ate out on a couple of occasions. As we moved into Spain it was still windy but shelter was available if you use sites. With shelter the weather is great and you will get a tan and enjoy the idea of getting away from it all. If you have a choice I would suggest you do Spain during late Jan, Feb and early March then migrate to Portugal where the wind should have diminished by then. The temp is great but the wind in the early months kills off the idea of Portugal. That said, if you want to go on the beach on the Algarve you may not be aware of the above. The beach is sheltered. My post relates to site locations away from the beach. Whatever you decide I hope you enjoy it and it will influence you decisions for future years.

Regards

Art

Thanks guys ,great advice and it's definitely going to be Spain. I have the Acsi book also Camperstop Europe book. But nothing beats a recommendation,so could I trouble you for the names of Aires and or campsites on route to the costa Blanca.

many thanks.

Ginger jim

Ginger Jim - 2016-12-16 7:17 PM

Thanks guys ,great advice and it's definitely going to be Spain. I have the Acsi book also Camperstop Europe book. But nothing beats a recommendation,so could I trouble you for the names of Aires and or campsites on route to the costa Blanca.

many thanks.

Ginger jim

Let me get this right...you're asking for us to plan your trip for you, and you have a ACSI book and a Camperstop Europe guide.

Give over, you've got to be joking.

http://s358.photobucket.com/user/vindiboy1/library/A%20Portugal%20Wander%202015

Hi Ginger, the weather you get in Spain and Portugal relies on the weather Hee Hee it can be good or bad, we have had fabulous weather in both Countries  and also naff weather in both Countries on our winter trips to these places, whatever you get it will be better than here in England , just go for it, you can always drive from Spain to Portugal or vise versa if the weather is bad in one or the other, driving is very easy  over there and plenty of places to stay, we are dedicated wild campers and seldom use campsites,  choices are there for you to make. routes are difficult as not knowing where your destination is complicates things, but if I was going to the Algarve from Calais, [our preferred route ] I would go thus,a night at Canterbury on the park and ride aire £6, then  first night on the dock at Calais free or the Air at Wissant free , round Rouen to the free Aire at Vivonne, then on to free Aire at Dax or to free Aire at St Jean De Luz, then crossing into Spain for Victoria Gasteize  on to free Aire at Palencia on to free Aire at Caseress, on to free Aire at Zafra on to free Aire at Veverde De Camino, and on to the ALGARVE for  Free Aire at Castro Marin or the pay Aire at Villa Real de San Antonio, We do not use pay Motorways except part of the N10 near Dax has become Payage but it is only 5 euros for the short stretch we use little alternative here I am afraid, the non pay roads are excellent in France and Spain/Portugal our route may seem a bit diverse but it is a very good route with easy daily drives and even on the longer stretches it is very relaxing and stress less, we do not like driving for hours on end and make frequent stops, each to their own on that, hope you have a great trip which ever  way you go , have fun.

http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/forums/forum.php  Ginger. or others , check this site out , become a FULL member for £20 and get thousands of POIs [places for overnights checked out and posted by full members ]for  installation on lap tops, sat navs ,tablets ,phones etc etc and on Maps Me for access off line too , also POIs of water taps and toilet dumps on your route to Spain ? Portugal and of course UK .

Barryrj - 2016-12-18 9:25 AM

What an unnecessarily nasty post from Starving Marvin considering his previously helpful post. The op was only asking for some recommendations.

You're confusing nasty with blunt and to the point. If the poster doesn't like it.....or you for that matter then, does this face look bothered??

starvin marvin - 2016-12-18 12:15 PM

What an unnecessarily nasty post from Starving Marvin considering his previously helpful post. The op was only asking for some recommendations.

You're confusing nasty with blunt and to the point. If the poster doesn't like it.....or you for that matter then, does this face look bothered??

QED

Barryrj - 2016-12-18 12:50 PM

starvin marvin - 2016-12-18 12:15 PM

QED

That's about as clear as Latin to a working class lad.

Archived