Spanish Propane Bottles

Taffyjimbob

Regarding the Jumbo adapter, just make sure you push it down properly. On my first attempt I had to summon the assistance of a helpful camper. The collar has to be firmly pushed down, otherwise you don't get a gas tight seal. You can test this by grabbing hold of the Jumbo and trying to lift the bottle - if the bottle falls off, then the Jumbo isn't connected properly.

Also, you'll probably find that the top knob of the Jumbo has to be fully twisted open before the gas will start flowing.

If you can, try and purchase a propane battle rather than the butane version. The propane bottle is easily recognisable by a black band half way down the bottle (or half way up, if you are Australian) :-D

Taffyjimbob - 2015-11-18 3:37 PM

Reading a bit more on Gaslow site. They quote the adapter as 21.8LH is this the size required for a Spanish Propane bottle ?

The 21.8 LH refers to the size of thread (sticking out of the side of the adapter) which you connect the pigtail to. The LH refers to a left hand thread.

You can buy these adaptors in Spain at any hardware shop at a cheaper price.

Taffyjimbob - 2015-11-18 2:19 PM

Hi Does anyone know the size of the valve on a Spanish Propane bottle 13 Kg, or even better the make and availability of an adapter to fit one.

Don't know what van you have? Just make sure that the bottle will fit in your locker, if that is what you intend

We have found that french/Spanish bottles are too big for our gas locker, the circumference is too wide

PJay

PJay - 2015-11-19 10:27 AM

Taffyjimbob - 2015-11-18 2:19 PM

Hi Does anyone know the size of the valve on a Spanish Propane bottle 13 Kg, or even better the make and availability of an adapter to fit one.

Don't know what van you have? Just make sure that the bottle will fit in your locker, if that is what you intend

We have found that french/Spanish bottles are too big for our gas locker, the circumference is too wide

PJay

All the Spanish 13Kg bottles are 30 cm diameter .(Butano Propano* ..Repsol or Cepsa )

Height to the top of the valve/regulator is 60cm again all gases and Suppiers are the same the only anomaly is the Cepsa BBQ bottle 6kg model which is only available with Butano and is 30cm diameter and only 40cm to the top of the valve/regulator. Picture below.

*Propano bottles are the same physical size but only have 11 kg in them hench they are cheaper.

Brian K

1113521762_6KgGasBottle.jpg.6ef1a87d696f5615d9cac371b9eae06d.jpg

65317957_13-11KgGasBottle.jpg.bf3f604f467dc005b6cb6922e45fc26b.jpg

Thanks Brian K for your very useful feedback - a picture (or two) is worth a 1000 words

I've just measured my 11/13 kg Repsol cylinder with Jumbo adaptor and it also measures a height of 60cm.

PS. Brian's pics show the alternative Spanish regulator. The Jumbo adaptor is really just a cut-off valve (as mentioned previously) which allows you to attach a pigtail and connect the other end of the pigtail to your existing fixed regulator. If you don't have a fixed regulator then you may as well purchase the alternative Spanish regulator, which I believe is readily available in Spain - well, that's what the locals use in their everyday life for cooking and possibly heating.

Some good news just read in the local paper the price of exchanging the orange 13kg bottle is now officially 11.60€ (that is only for the orange bottles ).You may pay 1€ to 1.5€ extra at some outlets as they add this as a handling charge...what ever that means.

Earlier this year the price was 17.50€ so may the price of oil continue to fall.

Brian K

Archived