Spanish speed limits

Mickt

When France changed its speed limits in mid-2018, both Garmin and TomTom reported what they were doing about this regarding updating sat-nav mapping, but I can’t find anything similar on-line about the very recent Spanish 100km/h to 90km/h change.

Unlike the exercise necessary to deal with the French changes, it OUGHT to be easier to implement the Spanish speed limit reduction on sat-nav mapping, so perhaps Garmin and TomTom will just provide a new map update that includes the revised Spanish limits without specifically advertising that the update does this.

Apologies, as I know I've said this before, and I accept in advance that the speed limits referred to in this case are blanket limits and not individual limits, but :-) do not rely on sat-nav recorded speed limits when driving.

Limits change continually in different places, and the map-borne data are invariably out of date in various locations at any point in time.

Bear in mind also that the publisher has to become, or be made, aware that a limit on a given stretch of road has changed before that can be input, and the revised mapping then has to be incorporated into an update release before your sat-nav will show it. The mapping will always lag reality.

It is far safer to maintain a continual look out for roadside speed limit signs than to rely on sat-nav indications. I have lost count of the number of speed limit signs I have passed showing limits that differ from those indicated on the sat nav. They are useful as a guide when unsure, but as a substitute for "proper" signs, they ain't!

Archived