Spanish truck drivers...

Sorry, but I doubt anyone can help me, but I really must get this off my chest.

I have confirmed this year that in order to qualify as a Spanish truck driver you only need two things - an IQ less than your shoe size and the patience of a gnat.

Those who are best qualified then gather on the A7 Autovia and compete for the 'Prat of the Year' award.

Marks are awarded for 'closest following distance' (nothing over a metre qualifies), longest and slowest 'blocking of overtaking lane' (one kilometre minimum entrance fee), 'minimum clearance when pulling back in' and 'best lack of any kind of forethought'.

Plenty of contenders this year, including two semi-finalists for the 'lack of forethought' trophy:

Inside lane slows from 90kph to 88kph on slight incline. Contender 'A' immediately pulls out into the overtaking lane at 89kph. Inside lane gathers momentum again at 89.5kph, contender 'A' is alongside blowing horn and gesticulating... Worth 8.5 on the 'Patience of a Gnat' award.

Contender 'B' is practicing on country roads and thunders up behind victim 'B' as mountain road levels out. Victim 'B' has been following an artic for some miles at 90kph and as they both slow approaching a 50 kph town contender 'B' pulls out to overtake, and only then notices the first truck, roundabout and the town. Luckily 'Victim B' is awake and has good brakes. Close to a ten this one for the 'Total lack of Forethought'.

Despite the best efforts of Spanish truckers we thoroughly enjoyed our four month stay in Portugal and Spain over the Winter and will be headed there again in December, just not using the A7 and treating any Spanish truck as an enemy bent on carnage!

We went down to Spain in February and had the totally opposite experience. Taking the inland route from L'Estartit through Manressa, down to Tarragona and the Ebro delta the lorry drivers were no problem whatsoever. Same on the A7 / AP7 further south.

Here in our region of France it seems to be the Portuguese and Polish lorry drivers who cause issues. The former don't seem to understand the overtaking regulations and the latter seem to drop to sleep at the wheel. There have been three fatal accidents in as many years down to Polish drivers nodding off and wiping out houses on the outside of bends.

Guest pelmetman

So far only lost a bit of plastic of the end of our awning to a Spanish truck driver :-| ..........

He lost his wing mirror :D ........

So I'm counting that as a credit on my scoreboard ;-) .........

Archived