Spare Wheel

Yorkyrunner

hi, what van do you have, possibly a Fiat, and which chassis is it on...

this is important as I've been doing this very exercise and 16" wheels optionally fitted to the light 3.5t chassis (as I have) have different bolt positions (PCD) compared to those fitted to the heavy (4.25t) chassis.

so getting the correct wheel is vital even though the tyre will be the same.

I have a small Carthago A class and Carthago (and ALKO) say the ALKO carrier is not suitable for my model...no other explanation offered, so I many have to fit it in the garage or on the rear wall...

Can't help with a carrier but I bought a wheel from Automotive Wheels in Rochester. They trade on Ebay as The Wheel Shop. New wheel with a cheap tyre is just under £100, but you can specify a more expensive tyre if you want.

Hi, thanks for that, I was looking on ebay and a new one with tyre started off at £150 but would have to find out if it fits re the comments regarding chassis. Its certainly a mine field. I am awaiting dealer to get back as looking at one. We are looking at a K yacht on 16Inch wheels which annoyingly has loads of extras but no spare.I will look on M/Fun,cheers.

stevec176 - 2019-04-09 9:14 PM

Just a thought, have you got enough spare weight for a wheel and carrier, not the lightest of items.

Yorkyrunner,

Are you still looking at the Mobilvetta K Yacht?

If so pay particular attention to Steve's comment above as a quick internet search suggests they have a VERY POOR payload!

eg The K Yacht 80 has a manufacturers 'guideline' figure of only 340 kg. In my view this is totally inadequate for the size of MH!

From this advert: https://www.marquisleisure.co.uk/motorhomes/stock-item/mobilvetta-tekno-line-k-yacht-80

Keith.

Hi regarding the K yahct I have been informed by the salesman at Marqies that the new vans are coming in at 3850kgs on the basic Alko chassis and you can upgrade to a 4400kgs heavy duty chassis if reqiured (dont know what price on the heavy if any as we are going for a 3850). There are some 2nd hand or late models available on the 3650 kgs apparrantly. So on that basis we should be OK weight wise

Yorkyrunner - 2019-04-10 7:19 PM

Hi regarding the K yahct I have been informed by the salesman at Marqies that the new vans are coming in at 3850kgs on the basic Alko chassis and you can upgrade to a 4400kgs heavy duty chassis if reqiured (dont know what price on the heavy if any as we are going for a 3850). There are some 2nd hand or late models available on the 3650 kgs apparrantly. So on that basis we should be OK weight wise

As you have the choice, I would suggest you reconsider your choice of the light chassis at 3,850kg.

The heavy chassis brings more than just a higher MAM, for example both axles have higher individual loads than on the light chassis, so there is less chance that you will run out of load capacity (usually at the rear) before you hit your MAM. You also get (I think), a slightly lower final drive ratio, but also heavier duty brakes and, with the higher rated springs, suitable dampers.

Our present van is on the heavy chassis, but the previous van (Hymer Exsis A Class) was on the light chassis, and the ride in the present van is better damped and more "planted" feeling on the road.

Are you sure there isn't an option to add a spare wheel? Most of the A class vans seem to offer this, and you then get a mounting bracket to carry it.

Don't know what the rear floor construction is on K Yachts is, but spare wheels plus tyres are heavy items (think in terms of 30kg) so any underslung carrier will need strong mounting points.

Also, where are the fresh and waste water tanks mounted? Probably in a false floor, but possibly underslung (at least, the waste tank) - in which case the tank will probably negate any chance of under slinging a spare wheel. If within the floor void, the presence of the tank may make finding sufficiently strong mountings for an underslung spare wheel.

Do cover all the bases before you sign on the dotted line. It would be extremely annoying to find that the design of the van precludes carrying the spare you (wisely, IMO) wish to carry.

Thanks again, some good points to consider, I think at 7.5 mtr approx. there should be good scope for the spare wheel. Our current M/H is similar length and has under slung tanks and stll has room for the carrier and wheel. After seeing what usually happens to tyres on blow outs etc the manufacturers should be made to provide one as standard, the same applying to passenger airbags.

Yorkyrunner - 2019-04-15 8:59 AM

. After seeing what usually happens to tyres on blow outs etc the manufacturers should be made to provide one as standard, the same applying to passenger airbags.

I can't see the case for spare wheels to be made compulsory.

Airbags are a safety issue but a spare wheel is not.

Spare wheel - or no spare wheel, is the customers choice.

Optimists don't insist on having one - pessimists do !

( I wouldn't be without one ).

;-)

Thanks again, some good points to consider, I think at 7.5 mtr approx. there should be good scope for the spare wheel. Our current M/H is similar length and has under slung tanks and stll has room for the carrier and wheel. After seeing what usually happens to tyres on blow outs etc the manufacturers should be made to provide one as standard, the same applying to passenger airbags.

spare wheels always USED to be fitted as standard to all motor vehicles. Phasing that out was in my opinion a retrograde step for safety and convenience especially when 'off the beaten track'.

Rayjsj - 2019-04-15 10:01 AM

spare wheels always USED to be fitted as standard to all motor vehicles. Phasing that out was in my opinion a retrograde step for safety and convenience especially when 'off the beaten track'.

Good morning,

Mrs Goldi and I were returning from the theatre the other night via a stretch of motorway with no hard shoulder when the tyre deflation warning light came, this was quite worrying but as the was no change in handling I proceeded until it was safe to check visually. Upon alighting from the car I checked the tyres and all seemed to be O.k We then continued home. Of all our modest fleet this is the only vehicle without a spare. I would stongley recommend always carrying a spare wheel.

Archived