Speed Limit Update

Guest Kate

This morning I got a letter from Tayside Police. I quote 'Your vehicle should not have been classified on the notice as it was and the speed limit which applied to your vehicle at that location was 60 miles per hour. The notice that was sent to you has been cancelled and no further proceedings are being taken in relation to that incident...........The unattended automated device can decide how big a vehicle is and activated on you own vehicle in the mistaken belief that it was a larger goods vehicle.' I intend to keep this letter in case of any future confusion and would be happy to send a photocopy of it to anyone who wants it. Thanks again for all the comments.

Nice result, informs us that these cameras can be activated at a different speed by vehicle size (something important to users of larger vans) also shows it pays to get advice and appeal before paying out.

Guest Docted
Sorry I feel that I am more cynical than the rest of the correspondents and the the letter from Tayside police does not give the whole truth etc. The A9 is a road which is well policed on speed because of the high numbers of accidents. I think that the camera was set to the lower speed to "go after" goods vehicles, trailers and caravans who believe that cameras cannot identify them speeding.

It seems that these taxation machines are capable of doing more than most of us realize. Not sure if they can tell what you had for breakfast and adding VAT. See below. http://www.speedcamerasuk.com/Gatso.htm

Docted I have never intentionally broken the speed limit. My husband reckons that I wouldn't even overtake a milk float! however I do object to being prosecuted for a crime that I did not commit. I might add that the A9 can be a difficult road with lots of accidents as can the A77 the M8 The A96 the M25 and so on.The fact is that I have driven for 35 years all over the world and have seen some fairly interesting driving. I do object to being accused of doing something wrong when I have not had an accident in all that time nor caused one! Anyway what is important is that we now all know that we have to be very careful and aware of the law.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Kate: I read your original posting shortly after returning from France and was startled how much discussion/argument it had generated. This was because motorhome weight-related matters (including speed limits and the deployment of 'size-sensing' traffic cameras) had been so extensively covered by Mel Eastburn's recent MMM articles. It needs saying, perhaps that, although the PHG (over 3500kg overall weight) registration classification appears to be being used by the authorities as circumstantial evidence that a motorhome's 'unladen' weight will exceed the 3050kg threshold that restricts a vehicle to the 50/60/70 speed limits, this is probably a pretty good bet in practice. Based on the 'on the road' figures given in motorhome manufacturers' brochures for models with over-3500kg overall weight, I'd be very surprised if many PHG-registered motorhomes fell below 3050kg when unladen. The '3050kg rule' is a very strange regulation and, from your experience, seems essentially unpoliceable when applied to medium-sized motorhomes.

I am now convinced that I am not quite as odd as I thought. It seems that like me most people can only tolerate a few lines of written text on subjects formal before the brain says "enough". Plus opinion is always far more thought provoking than fact! Do you remember the posting that made just over 100 interchanges? It was all opinion if my memory is correct. ??

Just to complete the story, the 3,050 Kg threshhold dates from way back when we used imperial measurements. Three Imperial Tonnes is 3.048 Metric Tonnes, and was pesumably rounded (for simplicity?????) to 3,050 Kgs when the rules were updated to metric. Remember, there is, as yet, no EU harmonisation on traffic safety law or driving speeds.

Will gladly send you the letter. If you do not want to post your address on the forum you can e mail me at Gordon.McKenzie1@btinternet.com.If I was really clever on the computer I could probably scan the letter in and e mail it but I'm a bit technologically challenged. Kate

Kate Hi, If you have a PROPER scanner you should be able to scan and then attach it to an E-mail. I am one of those people that knows how to do my own but really unable to explain IT. Peter

Archived