Speedo stopped working

chas

Hi- My Peugeot Boxer 05 plate 2 litre motorhome speedo has stopped working. Wonder if any one as had this happen and what is involved to fix it. I guess the cable drive from the dial face to possible gear box is the culprit, I just like to know what could be involved before taking it to a garage, would the dash board instrument panel need to be disturbed ect. Thanks for any guidance .

Modern speedometers are electonic, not mechanical.

A sensor (transducer) on the rear of the final drive/gearbox assembly, sends impulses to electronics and stepper motor in the instrument binnacle.

Possible causes of failure are transducer failure, faulty wiring, or a blown fuse that perhaps also supplies other items. On my Fiat, fuse F11 in the engine bay fusebox supplies the speedometer, among other items. A very possible cause of F11 blowing is a faulty oil vapour heater.

On my Fiat 2.8JTD, the oil vapour heater is fitted as a tee connection into the blow by hose above the starter motor, The blow by hose connects to the oil separator which is a roughly cuboid plastic box above the starter motor. If the oil vapour heater is faulty, in UK or warmer climates, a quick fix is to unplug it. The connector is only visible from underneath.

Alan

Archived