Squeal on starting a Peugeot Boxer

mel wood

We have a 58 reg Boxer 2.2, 100 bhp 5 speed with 9000 miles on the clock. We park at the top of our sloping drive. On starting in a morning (but at no other time) we have a squealling noise which lasts for a few seconds. By the time we have reversed down the drive the noise has stopped. Depressing the accelerator makes no difference to the noise.

Has anyone any ideas of the cause? We are taking the vehicle to Peugeot on Monday so they can have it overnight. This may be a waste of time as we have not had the noise when starting on the flat.

We had this a couple of time last September with our Fiat. Only happened on first start of the day.

When it was serviced in January, I mentioned it when it was up on the ramp. The mechanic had a look, tugged at rubber belt and said everything was fine.

It hasn't happened again since last September.

Guest Tracker

Experience suggests that when a belt has been slipping for a while it has worn and stretched.

Adjusting it may well cure the problem for a while but eventually it will either squeal again or probably break.

I would pre empt that by fitting a new belt as soon as the old one starts to squeal - after all it's not as if they are expensive now is it!

I hope my comments help. I have had the same experience on my 07 Peugeot. I believe that the problem is due to water getting on the engine drive belt(s). I park my van on my slightly sloping drive nose-down. Although I had a shield fitted to the engine this did not stop underbonnet water ingress and I temporarily taped the windscreen to scuttle joint and from then on I didn't get the squealing on start-up after rain. When I first heard the noise I was somewhat alarmed, but recognised it was belt slip. I soon realised that it only happened if there had been some rainfall in the previous day. Therefore you shoudn't adjust your belts as they are probably correctly tensioned.

You may be interested to know that Peugeot/Fiat are now fitting a double-sided adhesive foam tape (approx 12mm x 2mm section) between the scuttle panels and the winscreen. I am looking to apply a similar solution myself.

• 2 weeks later...

Our 09 Boxer squealed on startup, which only happened after it had rained.

The windscreen to scuttle joint had the double sided tape but on the nearside it had parted from the screen and allowed water to penetrate. I've now put some black pvc tape along the length of the screen and it has cured the water penetration and, hopefully, the squeal.

Initially I though that I'd get Peugeot to replace the joining strip but the pvc tape is a perfectly satisfactory solution and is hardly noticeable so I'll probably leave it as it is.

Archived