Stain removal

Guest Aileen

Guest Aileen
I purchased a 2001 Rotec 620 (imported from Germany)last year and have had it in storage over the winter. When I took it out last week I noticed some stains in the bathroom. I'm not sure what the surface is made of but it would seem to be a plascic/pvc type of material with the sink, walls and shelves all built in one piece. These stains are orange or brown streaks on the edge of the sink and on some of the shelves and seem ingrained into the surface. Is there anything I can do to remove these. I have tried lots of domestic cleansers to no avail. I am very dissapointed at this as the bathroom was beautiful. Any help would be great. Thanks Aileen

Guest Jules
Hi, Toothpaste! I use this when cleaning my fridge if I spill anything and it sticks, its slightly abrasive, it deodorises and should remove stains. Just get it on a dry J cloth and rub lightly and then rinse away, if this does not work then buy a really cheap mouthwash, these cheap ones contain alcohol which is horrific to gum health but great on mildew, stains and to disinfect shower curtains and drains without bleach. If this fails buy good old fashioned Borax soap, one should do the trick. Jules

Guest Dave Tester
Whatever you do don`t use mouthwash to clean your basin, it may contain a chemical that can cause cracks in the material used for motorhome basins, I recently read a letter in one of the motorhome mags where a couple had several basins replaced under guarantee by Hymer until they realised that the mouthwash they used caused the stress fractures in the plastic. Regards Dave Tester

Guest Derek Uzzell
The "mouthwash" letter was in MMM's Interchange section and it was the Hymer's owner that finally made the assumption that a particular mouthwash was the cause of the basins cracking. Can't say I'm convinced - a fluid strong enough to crack plastic is hardly something one would choose to put in one's mouth (or at least not twice, particularly if one has dentures!) I suppose if you actually used the mouthwash neat to clean the washbasin or left the stuff standing in the basin it might cause harm. Who knows? People do some odd things. Back to Aileen's question. You may be unable to remove these stains. Your Rotec's bathroom sounds similar to our Herald's, with lots of moulded plastic. This also developed a small number of orange/brown marks, particularly where the plastic was thin (eg. on the edges of the mouldings). I believe it's something certain types of thermo-formed material are prone to with age (though, in your 'van's case, 4 years isn't that long) and, as it's within the plastic itself, you can't remove the marks. It should be apparent whether the stains are on the surface or embedded: if the latter, then I think they are best left alone.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Aileen: I realised after I'd posted my reply that the final sentence might seem a bit disparaging. (Unfortunately one can't retract/edit a forum entry once the POST-button is pressed.) In fact, I recall that only a close inspection of the stains in our Herald's bathroom proved that they were within the plastic rather than on the surface. So, if you'd like to read "It should be apparent..." as "A close inspection should reveal...", that's what I meant to say.

Guest Aileen
Thanks for all the replies and - no Derek I didn't think your reply was disparaging! If you heard some of the questions I ask people you would realise that I haven't a clue about the workings of a Motorhome. I turn the key and turn on a few switches and hope everything works. If not - God knows what next!! Back to the bathroom - the stains would seem to be within the plastic so I'm not sure if any of the hints will do but I will try. I have made contact with TEC in Germany and they asked me to send on a photo os the stains. I will post another message if I get any good news. Thanks Aileen

Archived