Standard Anti-lock Brakes?

Guest Derek Uzzell

Guest Derek Uzzell
On page 18 of the latest (Feb 2005) Caravan Club Magazine there's a question that begins "I understand that from 1 July 2004 all new production cars must be fitted with an anti-lock brake system (ABS) as standard in the UK". I found this statement surprising as I thought I would have become aware of any new regulations about car brakes. However, as the CC's reply didn't contradict it, I assumed the assumption must be correct. (OK, I know this is a dangerously naïve philosophy, particularly in view of the strange things some CC members seem to believe!) A brief Google search revealed that the statement as it stands is essentially true, but would be more accurate if "must be" were replaced by "will have been". It turns out that there are no enforcement regulations as such and standard fitting of ABS from mid-2004 was the result of a voluntary initiative agreed by the motor manufacturers. I collected a few 2005 motorhome brochures at the Shepton Mallet show and, although ABS was sometimes standard on the vehicles advertised, as often as not it was optional or excluded from the specification. Although most European-built motorhomes are classed as 'cars' in the UK, based on the brochures, it seems that ABS as standard does not extend to light commercial vehicle chassis. So, does anyone have more information on the scope of the agreement I've mentioned above, please?

Archived