Standard double mattress in a 6 metre PVC with transverse bed?

robdav

Hi again

We spend quite a lot of time in our van and the mattress has never been great. It’s a 6 metre long Fiat Ducato with transverse rear bed.

We are/were thinking of getting a ‘proper’ mattress from one of the companies offering 200/300 day trials like Emma/Simba/Tempur etc.

Having measured up though, we’re 10cm short on length for a standard double on the side where the back end of the van curves round for the doors. Width is fine.

I’m just interested if there is anyone else out there who has tried this and ‘squeezed’ one in’?

Thanks

Rob

I have got a standard domestic mattress in the (6.36m) X2/90 resting on the boxed in wheelarches. You can have single or double - using the van sides as a strong headboard and footboard. (put a bit of plywood behind the trim panels to reinforce them). Made the bed base with 2 angle irons and plywood - with holes cut in to ventilate the bottom of the mattress. No legs as it just drops on to the wheelarches when its not supported by the straps. Doesn't matter if the mattress is a few cm longer as it will squeeze in.

I have a ratchet strap on each corner so I can make the bed perfectly level in seconds, irrespective of the slope of the van. There is a strong rail running along the sides to hook the straps on to. Just count the same number of clicks in the 2 ratchets at the end or the sides. But I wouldn't try to get the mattress right up to the rear doors. If the doors leaked the bed would get wet, and I like to have a space either side so you can tuck the blankets in.

robdav - 2021-09-10 10:12 AM

Hi again

We spend quite a lot of time in our van and the mattress has never been great. It’s a 6 metre long Fiat Ducato with transverse rear bed.

I’m just interested if there is anyone else out there who has tried this and ‘squeezed’ one in’?

Thanks

Rob

We had the same with ours bought a memory foam mattress laid the old one on top and cut off the corners to fit cuts easily with a electric carving knife if your cutting off the corners try a practice cut first

Remember have one all foam no springs came rolled up like a carpet .

Archived