Staying in France for more than 90 days after Dec 31st

slowdriver

I appreciate that currently there are many other obstacles to going to France at the moment, however this article from The Local.fr provides an overview and links to new French Government guidance on staying for more than 90 days.

I doubt this of interest to many, but personally I was unaware that there are documented routes to staying for more than the 90 days available via a Schengen visa, apart from Residency.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20201218/france-publishes-its-visa-requirements-for-british-people-from-january?

Of course these conditions apply only to staying in France for more than 90 days. Other countries will have other conditions, I imagine.

Interesting, thanks for posting. Sounds like a bit of a pain though. I thought you had to apply on French soil but that doesnt seem to be the case. What is a bit worrying though is you have to shell out probably €200 if there are two of you for the application which is none refundable even if its denied and then have it all officially translated by an official French translator which looking at the link within your link before it disappeared off the screen is about €40 per page. Knowing the French for paper work I bet its 40 pages long!

Still, its a possibility for a long summer trip in Europe.

Yes the second one means UK citizens will not be allowed to travel to the EU at all after 1 January 2021 unless its for essential reasons. For how long, who knows?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/dec/09/uk-holidaymakers-could-be-barred-from-visiting-eu-under-covid-safety-rules

Well I think the feeling (even amongst the countries leaders) is that the easing of restrictions over the Christmas/new year period could lead to another long drawn out round of lockdowns next year. I should be able to save up enough to cover the costs of a visa plus certificates for the dogs by January 1st 2022.

David

Guest pelmetman
slowdriver - 2020-12-18 8:06 PM

I appreciate that currently there are many other obstacles to going to France at the moment, however this article from The Local.fr provides an overview and links to new French Government guidance on staying for more than 90 days.

I doubt this of interest to many, but personally I was unaware that there are documented routes to staying for more than the 90 days available via a Schengen visa, apart from Residency.

https://www.thelocal.fr/20201218/france-publishes-its-visa-requirements-for-british-people-from-january?

Of course these conditions apply only to staying in France for more than 90 days. Other countries will have other conditions, I imagine.

Our resident Loser Brigade wont like you pointing that out :D ..........

I intend to carry on spending my winters in Spain B-) .........

Knowing that it will annoy the hell out of them will just make my winter sun even more enjoyable (lol) ........

pelmetman - 2020-12-19 9:12 AM

Knowing that it will annoy the hell out of them will just make my winter sun even more enjoyable (lol) ........

On the contrary Dave. You posted the other day how you had found a bullet proof way to get round the 90 day rule so all of us are excited about the prospect of you putting that into practice and showing all the doubters how its done! Assuming the travel restrictions have been lifted by then of course.

Barryd999 - 2020-12-19 9:03 AM

Yes the second one means UK citizens will not be allowed to travel to the EU at all after 1 January 2021 unless its for essential reasons. For how long, who knows?

Pity we didn't get out when we should have We could have used that and stopped a lot of Covid getting across the channel earlier this year

witzend - 2020-12-19 11:28 AM

Barryd999 - 2020-12-19 9:03 AM

Pity we didn't get out when we should have We could have used that and stopped a lot of Covid getting across the channel earlier this year

I have to ask. Is this a joke?

Guest pelmetman
Barryd999 - 2020-12-19 10:56 AM

pelmetman - 2020-12-19 9:12 AM

On the contrary Dave. You posted the other day how you had found a bullet proof way to get round the 90 day rule so all of us are excited about the prospect of you putting that into practice and showing all the doubters how its done! Assuming the travel restrictions have been lifted by then of course.

I don't need a way around the restrictions ;-) .........

I just need to be able to count to 180 :D .........

Barryd999 - 2020-12-19 7:04 PM

No joke it came into UK from Europe so if we could have shut the border early when it first reared its ugly head in Italy and put quarantine measures in place we'd be in a better situation now

witzend - 2020-12-19 9:19 PM

Barryd999 - 2020-12-19 7:04 PM

No joke it came into UK from Europe so if we could have shut the border early when it first reared its ugly head in Italy and put quarantine measures in place we'd be in a better situation now

If you mean our membership of EU stopped us closing border you are wrong, we always have had that option for emergencies like this. Meanwhile the first cases are believed to be UK citizens returning from holiday in 2019 when we had little idea what was going on, when we did know the government not only kept the european borders open, they allowed flights from known high risk places like China.

This thread is headed "Staying in France for more than 90 days after Dec 31st’, began to go off-topic after the first 4 postings and the primary posters - Barryd999, pelmetman, colin - are all Chatterbox major players.

Please don’t bring Chatterbox-style ‘debating’ to the Motorhome Matters forum (and please stop using the pointless multiple-quoting posting method in forums other than Chatterbox).

If the thread does not get back on topic now I’ll freeze it.

Well I for one would be interested in keeping it alive as it will be interesting to see if anyone manages to successfully apply for this French Visa although it sounds like a few hoops to jump through and not cheap. Its kind of in limbo at the moment of course as nobody is going anywhere.

I started this thread as a point of information. It does seemed to have morphed into a yet another argument about Brexit, which was not my hope or point, when I started it.

I think there is a place for those arguments, and it's Chatterbox. It is where most of the well trodden Brexit arguments take place already.

MHM is a mine of useful and specific information about Motor-homing. It pretty much does what it says on the tin, which is a rare treat these days.

Personally I'd prefer to keep it that way and not clutter it up with discussions which are already well covered in Chatterbox. In future I'll be more careful of what I post where.

Barryd999 - 2020-12-20 9:45 AM

Well I for one would be interested in keeping it alive as it will be interesting to see if anyone manages to successfully apply for this French Visa although it sounds like a few hoops to jump through and not cheap. Its kind of in limbo at the moment of course as nobody is going anywhere.

The link provided by Chris (slowdriver) in the original posting includes a cross-reference to the following French webpage that carries detailed information about visa requirements.

https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en_US/web/france-visas/brexit

As the number of O&AL forum members who will choose/need to apply for a French visa will be very small (perhaps nil) it’s unrealistic to keep this thread ‘alive’ just in case someone here does apply for a visa and will then comment on how that application progresses.

The visa issue can be revisited later (you can raise the matter here yourself if you wish) when things have settled down, but for now I’m freezing the thread to stop any more Chatterboxiness.

Archived