Stellplatz/Free camping spots in Germany

Guest Don Madge

Guest Don Madge
Morning all, We are off to Germany on the 13th October for a month. I'm looking for Stellplatz/Freecamping spots on the Mosel (Trier to Koblenz), on the Rhine south of Koblenz and in the Black Forest. It's about 10 years since we last visited these areas so we could do with some up to date info. If you have any favourite spots in these ares they would be most welcome. Safe travelling. Don

Hi Don, We have just returned from visiting Mosel, Middle Rhine and Black Forest. Just about every other village on the Mosel now has a stellplatze with varying charges - mostly €5 - many with electric. Starting at Trier, there is a place near the Messepark on the riverside off Konrad-Adenauer-Bridge =€5 (includes toilet/shower at adjacent camp site) Limited electric hook-ups at extra charge. However, there is a free place with service box across the road behind MacDonalds. At Zell, on the opposite bank to the town, there is a place which is free with service box at the petrol station in Zell. I understand that vans are not now welcome at Deutches Ecke at Koblenz but that there is is proper arrangement at the Neuer Messeplatz. We stopped at Bacharach (lovely place) they have a place on the river bank for €6 night - service box €1. Also saw vans on riverside at St Gourhausen. Black Forest - try Oberkirch on river bank - €3 night (less for more nights) Electric by box payment. There are places at Baden-Baden and Buhl. We stopped at a little village called Unterkirnach between Villingen-Schwenningen and Furtwangen - highly recommended. Landscaped stellplatz with service box and electric - €6 night includes tickets for indoor swimming pool. Nice toilet nearby. Also place in forest nearby at Acherloch. Two more suggestions for nice towns eleswhere - Saarburg and Neustadt-an der Winestrasse both with stellplatz. Have a look at www.top-platz.de for 28 top stellplatzen in Germany. Have a good trip.

Guest Teresa
We enjoyed our trip to Germany this year. Felt very safe. Very nice spot at Neef- 5 euros a night. However, you can stop at Zell right alongside river Mosel for nothing. We also stoped at Minheim. Never found a more organised spot, 4.5 euros.

Guest Ian Stewart
Sankt Aldegund (just South of Neef), 5 Euros Between the road and river, facilities at South end of the Stellplatze, ice cream van calls on site. (Well it did both days that we were there !)

One of our favorite stellplatz stops is at Schweich,just north of Trier. It is ideally placed at a junction of the Mosel B53 road and the A1 autobahn. The stellplatz adjoins a marina/campsite complex which also has about a dozen dedicated hard standings facing the river. Either way the marina resturant is open to all and offers good value. However, I believe that the campsite closes sometime in October so this might be off-menu when you get there. Whatever you do, if you haven't already,do take a look at Cochem,just south of Koblenz,a little jewel of a town. They have a campsite and stellplatz (Am Freizeitzentrum)right on the Mosel's bank and within an easy walk of town. Incidentely, following an earlier posting of mine,you enquired of MMM about the feasibility of the Fiat short-fifth gear for your van.I note that Burstner, for one, are fitting these as standard now in their range down to 4000kg. It might not have been ideal for your van but I wondered if you have in fact had it fitted. If so any feedback? Have a good trip. Ron

Guest Ian Stewart
Further to RonB's comments re Schweich - "the stellplatz adjoins a marina/campsite complex" It's called Campingplatz Zum Fahrturm if you're trying to find it in a guide. (We first used it in 1983 when camping with an Ariel motorcycle) "I believe that the campsite closes sometime in October." It does but, unless the Mosel is flooding, the Stellplatze will still be open. For eating, there's a good hotel, Die Rheinbrucke, just at the bridge and two restuarants just up the main street.

Archived