Stena Line Rip Off

mikejkay

I have just discovered that Stena Line want an additional payment of three times the fare paid for my aborted 2020 Harwich-Hook of Holland crossing which was aborted due to Covid ( FO advice and closed european borders). Anybody else think this is outrageous?

Guest rael
Outrageous, but not surprising. Having said that, the tunnel fares are really no higher than usual at the moment. I had to pay £27 extra to change my ticket from 17th July to 22nd July, but then I did make the original booking way back in December. Tried the tunnel?

Mike

As far as I’m aware, when a ‘refund credit note’ (RCN) is provided by a ferry company for an aborted crossing, if the RCN is later redeemed for a crossing with a fare that exceeds that of the original aborted crossing, the traveller will have to pay the excess cost. So (for example) if the aborted crossing were in March and the traveller chose to use the related RCN for a mid-August crossing, it’s to be anticipated that this would result in a heavy ‘surcharge’.

I don’t know what Stena Line’s terms and conditions say about this, but I do know that whether I think their stance in your case is outrageous, excessive, or merely predictable won’t change things for you. If you believe you are being hard done by Stena Line, you need to complain to the company directly and, if that proves unproductive, complaining on social media (Facebook or Twitter) sometimes seems to be effective.

Eurotunnel have been very fair over COVID-19.

They extended our Frequent travel account by 12 months.

We have 3 returns remaining.

I’m amazed that Stenna are taking advantage in these times and not looking after Loyal customers.

Try the tunnel, you probably won’t use a Ferry again.

Hi I was due to go Harwich-Hook last Wednesday overnight, booked through the CAMC £152. Cancelled and had refund less £6 . To book for 30 July £249 without CAMC discount so probably £225. So plus 50% for a three week advance booking over a seven month advanced booking. Not going, just passing the time away this morning as it’s raining .

Regards David

Den - 2020-07-01 10:09 AM

I’m amazed that Stenna are taking advantage in these times and not looking after Loyal customers.

Surely if a ticket has been bought for a particular time of year and a refund is obtained then it will be for the amount paid.

If the person then decides to travel at a more expensive time then surely s/he will have to pay the (increased) cost for travel at that time.

If that is perceived to be too expensive the person can decide to travel at a cheaper time, use a different carrier or simply not go.

After all, one can only be refunded the amount one has actually paid!

The person didn't state whether s/he was offered a refund or just a voucher for the amount paid. I suppose it would all depend on the terms and conditions applicable at the time of booking.

If the person chose a voucher or to transfer the booking rather than a refund if that was applicable then s/he has no grounds for complaint. If however, a refund should have applied and it wasn't offered that is another matter and could probably be challenged legally. In that case, if one paid by credit card the card provider should be willing to raise the matter with Stenna.

mikejkay - 2020-06-30 11:40 PM

I have just discovered that Stena Line want an additional payment of three times the fare paid for my aborted 2020 Harwich-Hook of Holland crossing which was aborted due to Covid ( FO advice and closed european borders). Anybody else think this is outrageous?

Based on your later post are you saying that the cost of the journey in May 2021 is actually 4 x that of the proposed journey in May 2020? (ie "an additional payment of three times" plus the original cost.)

If that is so it is a mega increase. How does the cost for 2021 compare with that of other operators for the same time?

I'm surprised at this.

I last travelled Harwich-Hook and return in May last year. I still have the invoice for that.

I've just checked a similar booking for May next year, and the cost is almost the same as I paid.

I can't see evidence that they've unduly inflated the fares, so maybe you've got the new price wrong (or, at the proportion you quote, you must have had a very cheap original booking).

I grovel :-S :-S :-S . I have just checked Stena Line website for my dates next year and the fares, while up, are not exorbitantly so. I don't know how it happened but my original £117.50 return had increased to £395! All my details are recorded in my account so the fare couldn't be for a 8m A class. :-D

I am at a loss to explain it. Anyway my mistake and apologies to Stena Line.

Archived