Step for Motorhome

keen canary

Hi to all.

My wife Wendy and I have an Eldiss Autocruise Motorhome. Wendy has had knee problems for quite a while but the situation has recently got worse.

We have managed up to now with a Campervan and the present Motorhome using the basic grey plastic single step and this has not really been a problem, but I feel that something that offers more help and stability may now be needed.

I have looked on line at quite a few and the design with handrail attached caught my eye but after reading many reviews I am having second thoughts. It seems as if you cannot shut the van door with the step in position because the door fouls the handrail when the step is in the central position. Also some people have questioned the quality of construction.

Can anyone share their thoughts or experience with steps they have used and the problems they may have come across, and any steps that they would consider recommending.

Kind regards

Keen Canary

As a work around, could you securely fix a large longditudinal handle to the inside of the door, so that it was only visible when the door was open, or to the furniture just inside the doorway, although that might narrow the access?

Just a thought, as it worked for us some years back!

Keep chirping!!

The motorhome in question is a 2018 Elddis Autoquest 115.

Earlier versions of this model had a retractable step below the habitation-area entrance-door's threshold, but (as will be seen from the attached photo) by 2018 Elddis had dispensed with this, with the threshold of the entrance-door being lowered and integrated into the bodywork.

Realistically, modifying a 2018 Autoquest 115's step-threshold to include some sort of retractable step will be a non-starter, as would be fitting an extra step beneath the current threshold as this would lresult in inadequate ground clearance.

This link shows that there's a wide variety of caravan-type entrance steps

https://tinyurl.com/4by2zjfc

and there's further advice here

https://www.hortoncommon.co.uk/step-for-caravans-and-motorhomes/

Storage within an Autoquest 115 is going to be limited and, logically, any free-standing step used will need to be stored inside the motorhome before the vehicle is driven off (or forgotten and abandoned as I've seen happen).

Choosing as large and stable a free-standing step as can be accommodated inside the motorhome, plus a 'security hand rail' (examples here)

https://www.milenco.com/products/safety/safety-hand-rail

would be a commonly used approach.

1328619200_2018autoquest115.jpg.1f51a067c3d077c64bb3c2a3f59ef52c.jpg

My wife also has mobility problems which got worse late March when she broke her femur when we were in Spain. Our van is a 2006 Carthago built on an Iveco Daily chassis and the first step inside van is 31" from the ground. I have purchased the largest "Motorstep" available, complete with it's own battery for total freedom, which lifts Barbara 32" up to the first step inside the van. We have only been away once since purchasing the lift for a weekend to try it and it was a success. I have a video of Barbara coming out of the van which I will try and attach but not sure if it's possible on here. If it doesn't work PM me with your email address

Thr "Motorstep" cost £2025 delivered with no VAT payed. The lift weighs 27kg and stands 1350mm high so you need a big space to transport it and it is VERY awkward to lift There is a smaller version available at £1825 delivered, weighs 23kg and 1200mm high

John

https://www.motorstep.net/how-it-works

The motorstep would be my preferred solution if your wife's mobility is deteriorating, despite the higher cost.

I don't know if the model without it's own battery is still available ? If so it will be lighter to lift in & out of the motorhome, but will need a plug-in connection for power supply.

If access via the cab door is required, Autochair do a swinging arm lift. (send me a pm if that is of interest)

Battery and non-battery versions of the Motorstep still seem to be available

https://www.motorstep.net/how-it-works

I notice that the same weight (23kg) is given for both variants, but I'd expect the 24V lithium-ion battery's weight to be around 3kg. Presumably one would fit the battery prior to using the step and remove it before storing the step inside the motorhome.

Hi to all who have replied to my post Ref Step for motorhome.

Thankyou so much for your help and suggestions and for taking the time to reply.

We have not decided which route to go with on this as yet but may be we will try a bigger single step together with a well positioned grab rail to assist Wendy when she is entering or exiting..

Kind regards to all.

Keen Canary.

Archived