Stolen Motorhome

Carryl

Hi There

Just wanted to put out there that our motorhome was stolen from Nailsworh Gloucestershire on Thursday 15th about 9pm, it was a Roller Team T-Line 590 the reg was SF17RDJ but I am sure this will already been changed

Please bear this in mind if you are offered a fairly new Roller Team 590, check paperwork thoroughly as it could well be my stolen one

Totally devastated by this as it was our second life, it is amazing how much personal stuff you carry around, we made a list the other day and it was astonishing how much kit we had on board, now sadly all gone along with our week-ends away :'(

Thanks Carryl

Derek Uzzell - 2020-10-20 9:27 AM

Further details of the theft (plus two photos of the motorhome) here

https://www.stroudnewsandjournal.co.uk/news/18803248.motorhome-stolen-nailsworth/

"Took them four minutes to immobilise the tracker" Blimey. 8-)

That sounds like it was very professional as most get driven off with the Tracker system intact and working as the thieves can't find it. This guy works for a tracking company going after nicked vehicles;

PeteH - 2020-10-21 9:06 AM

I Note. One was found Burned out?. That is more often the M-O of "Chop Shop" Hackers? Where the vehicle is stolen for Parts?. Happens a Lot with Transits, White van man`s favourite.

Pete

Yes you're right there! Regards the op's van that was on a Fiat base but what is more concerning is the thieves were able to disable the Tracker before driving off. No idea what type/make it was but i'd be interested to know what the view of their insurance is on it being disabled in such a short period of time. Whilst nothing is 100% i'd always thought Trackers are as close as you can get.....but not since reading of this experience.

Hi

Mine is tracked, Alarmed. Stored behind Alarmed Gates under CCTV cover. But I still fitted a hidden "kill" switch.

I know it works, I tried starting it one day and was about to call the RAC, when The penny Dropped "Dohh""

Pete :

Bulletguy - 2020-10-21 10:35 AM

Yes you're right there! Regards the op's van that was on a Fiat base but what is more concerning is the thieves were able to disable the Tracker before driving off. No idea what type/make it was but i'd be interested to know what the view of their insurance is on it being disabled in such a short period of time. Whilst nothing is 100% i'd always thought Trackers are as close as you can get.....but not since reading of this experience.

We recovered several vehicles with GPS jammers left inside by thieves. Insurers are aware of the issues, but undoubtable take the view that something is better than nothing, and they are not always disabled and have on occasions led to arrests and recovery of additional vehicles or remains thereof.

As for burnt out vehicles, yes it is one method of disposing of the remains after stripping all desired or resalable items. But the incidence in my experience also increased dramatically in periods where unemployment or other financial stress existed. I've occasionally also dealt with businesses who, for a variety of reasons, found it easier or financially more beneficial to allege the theft and total destruction of vehicles, rather than face the cost of repairs or an inability to make an insurance claim owing to the true circumstances of loss.

Not saying for one minute that could be the case here, but a healthy dose of cynicism based on previous experience can be a useful investigative tool.

Deneb - 2020-10-21 5:01 PM

Bulletguy - 2020-10-21 10:35 AM

We recovered several vehicles with GPS jammers left inside by thieves. Insurers are aware of the issues, but undoubtable take the view that something is better than nothing, and they are not always disabled and have on occasions led to arrests and recovery of additional vehicles or remains thereof.

Yes i've seen a few on police documentaries and YouTube. Always nice when the thing is still giving out it's GPS signal. I remember a few years ago some fancy motor got nicked from London and it was tracked all the way to South Africa. When they contacted the SA police they told them they'd best get a few shipping containers ready as they'd found about 20 more in the same compound, all stolen from UK!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There

Just to let you know the Tracker wasn't plugged into the cigarette lighter but plugged in to the OBD inside the dash board

We think they must have had a scanner to detect the tracker as it only took them a few minutes from arriving to driving away

Carryl - 2020-11-02 4:19 PM

Hi There

Just to let you know the Tracker wasn't plugged into the cigarette lighter but plugged in to the OBD inside the dash board

We think they must have had a scanner to detect the tracker as it only took them a few minutes from arriving to driving away

As many keyless thefts these days involve the thief plugging an electronic compromise device into the OBD port, anything already plugged in to it is going to be removed by the thief to allow access for his device, whether it is a tracker or whatever, and it stands to reason that any thief armed with such a tool is going to know exactly where the OBD port is on the vehicle he intends to steal.

Any so-called security device that relies on being plugged in to the OBD port is not secure, and the best prevention for any vehicle with an OBD port - which is almost anything manufactured in the last 15-20 years, is an OBD port lock. By-pass devices are able to allow thieves to start the engine within a matter of 10-20 seconds after being plugged in, in many cases.

Will86 - 2020-11-03 10:38 AM

Gone are the wonderful simple days when the rotor arm could be removed.

Showing your age Will86 - or perhaps you are 86?!

I remove a fuse so engine won't work. Not sure yet how much I'll use the 'van this winter, but if was certain of not wanting to for a few months, would remove a wheel.

arthur49 - 2020-11-03 12:58 PM

Query on OBD port locks. When fitted are these simply left in place until the port is needed for a valid reason ie engine service? It would be a wee bit of hassle to be constantly fitting/removing port lock every time van was stopped.

They are left in place until you need to access the port for service, etc, as you surmised.

Keith.

Archived