Stolen motorhome

Hazy Baby

Sorry to say our motorhome a Laika 595R registration HX13 EHW was stolen from in front of our property last night at 9.30 pm. We had just shut the blinds and popped the light on when we saw a black Ford (only got first bit of reg LR11) speed down our cul de sac. It parked at our neighbours so we thought nothing of it. Less than 5 minutes later two lots of rear lights sped up the cul de sac - the car and our van! The police were informed immediately but as we live at Woodhouse, Sheffield quite near the M1 and M18 motorways it could be anywhere. To say we are devastated is an under statement. What is happening with motorhome thefts? Where are they all going? It was stolen without keys and of course they have no documentation.

Hazy Baby - 2020-06-12 9:36 AM

Sorry to say our motorhome a Laika 595R registration HX13 EHW was stolen from in front of our property last night at 9.30 pm. We had just shut the blinds and popped the light on when we saw a black Ford (only got first bit of reg LR11) speed down our cul de sac. It parked at our neighbours so we thought nothing of it. Less than 5 minutes later two lots of rear lights sped up the cul de sac - the car and our van! The police were informed immediately but as we live at Woodhouse, Sheffield quite near the M1 and M18 motorways it could be anywhere. To say we are devastated is an under statement. What is happening with motorhome thefts? Where are they all going? It was stolen without keys and of course they have no documentation.

So sorry to hear that. Can I ask what security/alarm did you have?

Thanks Derek. You are right our model is as rare as hen's teeth. It must have been driven undercover immediately we think. Driiving it at around 9.45 at night during lockdown it must have surely been spotted by the police who we were assured were checking the roads and motorways around here within 15 minutes of the theft.

Have they notified ports and Eurotunnel, as that might be one way to make it disappear quickly.

From what you say about the speed at which it was taken, it seems it wasn't a casual theft, but one in which the thieves arrived fully equipped, so had presumably spied it out beforehand. Any neighbours seen anyone strange wandering around?

I assume the police are checking CCTV in your vicinity and on the motorways?

You may have to "nudge" the process a bit at present, as even before the lockdown some police forces were taking a bit of a back seat on thefts while they focused on what they deemed more pressing issues.

Contact your local Police and Crime Commissioner?

Thanks to Derek's swift identification of a similar van, you should have some help over the valuation as it is a rare van. Might help with the insurance to print off the details from E S Hartley's website, in case it gets sold and the ad is taken down.

Thanks for this Brian. The police this morning seem to have gone very quiet. Nothing unusual there! I will get back in touch with them and mention all your points about ports etc but I don't hold out much hope of getting it back. It is as you say an unusual van - more so as it's on a heavy 4 ton chassis and unfortunately has a small scrape on the passenger wheel arch. We are claiming for this too - the parts - as the repairer has had to buy them - so we need to reimburse him even though no repair was carried out. Stressful times.

There is another consideration, though it does look like a smashing little van. Would you really want it back?

Why not have a chat to ES Hartley if you like it enough, to see if what Derek found is the equivalent of what you had, (though I suspect the chassis won't be the same) and begin to explore if a like for like swap can somehow be arranged between you, them, and your insurer? I imagine Hartleys aren't shifting much stock at present, so there may be some flexibility on that price! :-)

Brian, a valid suggestion - thanks. But this is the final straw. We were thinking of selling the motorhome anyway as the way of life we seek in it is fast disappearing. What with the sheer number about at the mo, planned routes like the NC500 and having to book ahead for weeks if not months it's not really our thing anymore. We have been caravanning and then motorhoming for 45 years and loved to just wander and call in places wth nothing more than a guide book and an ordnance survey map. We have been going to France for years too and this was more our style but even that is becoming more difficult as we get older - in our 70s now and not in perfect health. But of course we would have preferred to get rid at a time of our choosing!

Hazel bought her Laika motorhome from Southdowns Motorhome Centre that, in 2013, was the sole UK Laika agent - and I’m guessing that her vehicle is the one shown in this 2013 Southdowns MC advert

http://www.southdownsmotorcaravans.co.uk/for-sale/n100224-new-laika-x-595-r-motorhome.pdf

The reason I referred to the ES Hartley advert was because that carries more external photos, but it needs saying that the Laika advertised there is a LHD version and (apparently) is still Spanish-registered. Using that advert as a reference when discussing any insurance claim would carry potential risks, as the asking-price of a 2013 LHD Laika X 595R sold in the UK should be expected to be significantly lower than that of a RHD UK-registered equivalent.

Derek, this is not our motorhome as ours was ordered especially from Laika but it is in most other ways similar except for the upholstery - ours being all dark grey with a motif. We will use this advert as a basis for "negotiation" with the insurance company.Thanks. I rang them at 8 am and they still have not got back to me as promised......

Hazy Baby - 2020-06-12 1:22 PM

Brian, a valid suggestion - thanks. But this is the final straw. We were thinking of selling the motorhome anyway as the way of life we seek in it is fast disappearing. What with the sheer number about at the mo, planned routes like the NC500 and having to book ahead for weeks if not months it's not really our thing anymore. We have been caravanning and then motorhoming for 45 years and loved to just wander and call in places wth nothing more than a guide book and an ordnance survey map. We have been going to France for years too and this was more our style but even that is becoming more difficult as we get older - in our 70s now and not in perfect health. But of course we would have preferred to get rid at a time of our choosing!

A difficult decision, Hazel that, sadly, we'll all have to contemplate at some stage. Derek's right, of course, that using Hartley's van as the basis for a cash settlement would be unwise, particularly as it is a left hand drive van.

Even so, it might provide a basis for trying to establish a reasonable ball park replacement cost settlement on an unusual van.

I note that Southdowns are still Laika dealers, so maybe, as they sold you the original, they might be able to assist with the present replacement value of yours.

Also, since Sheffield is a fair way from Portsmouth, might you have had the annual checks etc carried out at an alternative Laika dealer nearer to home? If so, perhaps they could give their idea of its replacement value? I wonder if either could be persuaded to put their views in writing?

Because it is a rare beast, your insurer will have difficulty establishing its value so, in the absence of easily established market related figures, will be liable to err on their side, rather than yours! So any valuation evidence from within the trade should at least help to establish better what would be a fair valuation. I do sympathise, and wish you the very best of luck.

Must admit having once lived in a small cul-de-sac they are not usually a prime target for theft having only one way in and out, not to mention any unknown vehicle is often spotted by neighbours. Fortunately i've only ever had experience of one vehicle theft in 51 years of driving and if it's any consolation, when i reported it to the police they told me the longer it takes for them to recover, the more chance it being in one piece. As they said, the time to worry is when we call you after within minutes of you reporting it.....because by then it usually means we've found it wrapped round a tree or stoved into a wall.

Your van is probably in shed or garage somewhere by now. It could be worth posting details of it on various m/home forums along with keeping an eye on Auto Trader and eBay. Hopefully your insurance will be helpful. A horrible experience and i wish you the best. A shame when you were on the verge of selling it.

This again makes door locks.ignition keys, immobilisers all rather pointless. I’ve turned round the drivers seat and locked it to the steering wheel but even that would only slow them down. Removing two wheels would probably thwart them though.

laimeduck - 2020-06-12 5:22 PM

They would have difficulty nicking mine. We have a removable steering wheel which is not kept with the vehicle.

Not that they would want to nick a 15 year old van.....or would they?

A friends son had one of those on his car. That said it was a 1987 RS Sierra Cosworth with 500bhp engine! 8-)

As this incident will almost certainly involve Hazel making an insurance claim, I believe that it would be inadvisable for her to provide details on open-forum about her motorhome’s security system and where it was parked when the theft occurred.

I can appreciate that knowing that her Laika motorhome had a particular alarm system, that it was armed when the theft took place, but the thieves still managed to steal the vehicle might be of interest to people with the same system, but if (say) there were no alarm system and there should have been, or the alarm had not been armed, that just MIGHT affect an insurance claim.

A recent forum thread mentioned an insurance provider quibbling over where a motorhome was parked when it was set on fire

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Insurance-Write-Off/55132/

so whether Hazel’s Laika was parked on the road or on her property is another fact best left unsaid here in my view.

Obviously it’s up to Hazel what she says. But I worked with vehicle, marine and personal injury insurance claims in the past and I’m very aware of potential pitfalls. If I were in her position, I would not provide answers on this forum to arthur49’s and slowdriver’s questions. (The forum has a PM capability and, if Hazel wants to reply to such questions, it might be best to do this via PM.)

Thank you all for your kind words. As has been mentioned we don't want to give any details about where it was parked or what security was on it. Thieves must view these sites to glean knowledge. We have not heard back from the insurance company so we are hoping things are progressing. Will check later today! The police assured us that cars with blue lights and sirens were on the road searching within 7 minutes of my 999 call. This was at 21.27 - at 21.29 the motorhome was sighted about half a mile away. So at 21.34 say the area was supposedly swarming with police. This makes us definitely think that the undercover scenario is correct. Now we and the police just need to fathom out where!

IMP - 2020-06-13 3:59 PM

Worth the small investment for faraday pouches - for the keys. May help with the cloners.

Ian

They only work on 'Keyless entry' vehicles, where you walk up and the car senses the key nearby and allows to simply pull the door handle to open the door.. Older style remote locking remotes cannot be scanned like keyless remotes.

Alternative is to keep your keys far enough away from the front of your house so they cannot be scanned.

Keith.

• 1 month later...
This is a very sad post but after 46 years of caravanning and motorhoming Alan and I are sorry to say that our touring days have come to an end. We have managed to come to a satisfactory payout by our insurance but for various reasons (stated previously) we have decided not to buy another van. It's all incredibly sad but we lost so many personal and often sentimental things that we just can't put ourselves through the stress of getting one, kitting it out and then keeping it safe. So a car and cottages etc it is for us in our 70s. We've so enjoyed being part of this friendly forum and wish you all well for the future. It will be so hard not to wave............Hazel & Alan x

Archived