Storm straps

mids

Hi I have a prostor 550 awing and want to purchase some storm straps. Cant seem to find this model online.may have changed name to dometic. Any ideas on where to buy. Are they a universal fit on wind out swings?

Guest pelmetman
mids - 2019-05-26 5:34 PM

Do they just slide on to the canopy box

Nope you wrap them around the awning arm ;-) .......

Forgot to add.....you peg them to the front........not the side :D ........

Like wise, I use a ratchet strap but whatever make sure you get the strap on as soon as possible after winding the awning out. I lost an awning by deciding to have a cuppa first. A tip you might find useful, give the strap a half twist at each end, this will help prevent the straps from buzzing in the wind.

I doubt it unless you have the matching halves of buckle on your awning.

Go to your local pound shop and buy a pair of 1" wide ratchet straps approx 3 metres long then get two heavy tent pegs (the heaviest you can get) then hook the straps around the top of the awning legs and extend the straps directly out to the front (not sides) of the awning.

Keith.

Keithl - 2019-05-26 7:07 PM

Or you can get LillyPad Leisure's version which slide into the groove for £20 plus £5 P&P!!!

http://www.windblockers.net/page7.html

Keith.

I’d beware of these - we had some for several years, but they just failed suddenly. The strap seemed to have developed “fatigue“ close to the awning and snapped in wind. Not that strong wind either.

We were looking for straps last year for a Thule Omnistor, and got some in a French dealers which included fittings for 3 or 4 makes, including yours, I think. But whether they’re available at all over here, I’ve no idea., i’m afraid.

Matrix Meanderer - 2019-05-30 9:24 PMNever use storm straps. MH awnings are sun shades at best. As soon as it gets windy, our awning gets wound in. 8-)

I also agree with the above.
When out and about touring, I always wind in our awning before retiring for the night.
Awnings are just a sunshade & if raining gives us a dry area to wipe down the dogs after a walk.
When in Germany - our favourite destination - and we are camping down by the river , there can be sudden gusts of winds, so as a precaution we always wind in our awning.

Archived