You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : First 1 2 Last
Format:  Go
Stranded in Spain (pt 2)
AuthorMessage
userhtrevor
Posted: 25 March 2020 11:03 PM
Subject: Stranded in Spain (pt 2)

Keeps coming back for more

Hi
Made it back to the Uk eventually. Appreciated all your advise to get back ASAP and in hindsite I was stupid in thinking that I might see it out in France. Even on my last day in a little Aires in Calais the police were patrolling outside my van and they were hammering a notice at the entrance which was to close the site that day. Relief in getting this side but a completely different situation here. I found a park and ride car park outside Canterbury for tonight but nothing to do and it was a long evening especially with the extra hour. So it looks like I am going to be travelling around for sometime in bits and pieces places which is against the governments advise and probably searching everyday for water. I looked on Campercontact which is my usual goto whilst travelling and it showed 2 water points in the whole of the Uk. Well I’m back in my homeland which is the place to be especially if I get sick but I feel my problems are only just starting and now I hear that their is some kind of countryside rebellion against people moving into their parish and bringing their virus with them. Already I can see trouble ahead in my bid to find a nice Countryside place to self isolate for a period without feeling a social pariah!

Ps By the way I am a single traveller of no fixed abode.

Fiat Ducato 600d Amundsen Westfalia

Edited by htrevor 2020-03-25 11:09 PM
userlaimeduck
Posted: 25 March 2020 11:23 PM
Subject: RE: Stranded in Spain (pt 2)

Epic contributor

Pleased you made it back - best place to be - in your own country where you understand the system & language.

There was an article on TV a couple of days ago - basically saying that farmers are going to struggle for farm workers now, because the foreign workers from Rumania etc can't get here. I think it was local news here in Kent?
There may be an opportunity for you here? If farmers want worker you may be able to do a trade - you let me stay on your farm and I'll do some work for you? Or I guess they have accomodation for these itinerant workers?

How you find out about it I'm not sure, any ideas anyone?

Jeremy
usercolin
Posted: 25 March 2020 11:24 PM

Legendary contributor

There is a thread on wildcamping.co.uk about places for fulltimers to stay, haven't followed it myself as doesn't concern me, but might be worth looking at.
p.s. can't find the thread at moment, but there was one a few days back.

Edited by colin 2020-03-25 11:27 PM
usercolin
Posted: 25 March 2020 11:30 PM

Legendary contributor

Jeremy

I think all areas with crops that need a lot on labour, at the moment I would guess that's mainly east anglia.
userBulletguy
Posted: 26 March 2020 12:24 AM

Walks with the gods

Trevor,

Do you have some friends or family with room to park up your van? At least you've then got water, electric PLUS.....an address you could get grocery items delivered to you. Everyone is battening down the hatches so yes, non-essential travel has been discouraged.
userhtrevor
Posted: 26 March 2020 12:25 AM

Jeremy

Hi yes I did see this article and it did cross my mind to do my bit and have a park up as part of the deal.
userhtrevor
Posted: 26 March 2020 12:28 AM

Bulletguy

Hi. I don’t really want to put a burden on friends and family and nobody I know has got room for a park up. One has but I would be at 45 degrees.
userhtrevor
Posted: 26 March 2020 12:29 AM

Thanks Colin. I will take a look at that.
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 26 March 2020 7:41 AM

This is probably the Wildcamping forum discussion Colin had in mind:

https://wildcamping.co.uk/threads/thread-for-safe-havens-for-full-timers-only.79374/

It’s currently a 5-page thread and I’ve browsed through it as a ‘guest’ - which means that I cannot see postings in their entirety without registering on that forum and logging in. It’s probably worth Trevor registering/logging in as some useful information, advice and links are there.

My neighbours own a large caravan permanently sited on a privately-owned non-residential caravan-park on the Gower coast. A few days ago they told me that the caravan-park had opened (which surprised me as I thought mid-March would be too early) and the owners of the caravans could stay there if they so chose. However, my neighbours said that the owner of the caravan-park had warned them that (as Trevor has mentioned) local people were unhappy with the idea of ‘holiday makers’ arriving, making use of local services/shops and, potentially, increasing the risk of Covid-19 infection in the area.

userStuartO
Posted: 26 March 2020 8:10 AM

Forum master

It is understandable that locals will feel inhospitable to people they see as non-essential travellers taking up residence in their caravans or second homes in rural areas but on the subject of refugee full-time motorhomers who are being expelled from other countries where they have been staying as visitors, there does need to be some thought-through provision for them to stay somewhere when they get back into UK. 

I would suggest that C&CC should keep their Canterbury Club Site (which is fairly close to Dover) open for this purpose, even if they would need to keep the toilet blocks locked.  I don't know whether the Canterbury Park & Ride Motorhome Parking Area is still open but the toilet emptying and water facilities were primative last time we used it, so that would need better maintenance and supervision than it used to get.
userlaimeduck
Posted: 26 March 2020 8:38 AM

Epic contributor

May be of use...... This just published by the BBC -
on this site:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52040539

"Hundreds of jobs at Moy Park
The poultry giant is searching for hundreds of temporary staff to work at its processing sites across the UK.
The company is looking for people to join its teams across a range of roles in its agriculture and production operations.
"There has been a noticeable increase in grocery sales as people practise social distancing and self-isolate," said Kirsty Wilkins, Moy Park's HR and performance director.
"This has resulted in a heightened demand for chicken produce and with it, opportunities in the sector to meet this demand.""
userSolwaybuggier
Posted: 26 March 2020 8:45 AM

A posting machine

Bulletguy

I think it’s more than discouraged - unfortunately messages from the Government have been mixed, to say the least, but it is an instruction. Certainly Cumbria Police are stopping caravans and motorhomes from today. And certainly round here you would not find a welcome arriving in a MH! I would suggest you look to minimise further travel - stop close to where you are.

Although the CMC (belatedly) shut their sites and told people to leave, I believe they were going to consider the position of full timers on a case by case basis. I don’t know what has come out of such considerations, And I can’t imagine they’re going to welcome anyone who’s not already on a site. It just might be worth ringing them though?

As for Moy Park, isn’t that where workers walked out yesterday over dangerous working conditions?
userlaimeduck
Posted: 26 March 2020 9:09 AM

Epic contributor

Solwaybuggier

That was just an example of a firm who were hiring, there are others.
For accommodation, probably best on a produce farm rather than animals?
userJohn52
Posted: 26 March 2020 10:12 AM

Legendary contributor

I'm hearing reports of another U turn - councils revoking their orders for caravan parks to close when it dawned on them it would put people out on the street homeless.
usercolin
Posted: 26 March 2020 10:28 AM

Legendary contributor

There was a overreaction by some owners of mixed sites, with residential residents told to leave when they never should have been told.
usercolin
Posted: 26 March 2020 2:11 PM

Legendary contributor

Derek Uzzell

As is often the case with forums it is mostly irrelevant comments, there are some suggestions, but this seems a interesting link from there.
https://www.gypsy-traveller.org/news/covid-19-guidance-for-supporting-people-living-on-traveller-sites-unauthorised-encampments-and-canal-boats/
userBrian Kirby
Posted: 26 March 2020 3:09 PM

FWIW, I heard (radio or TV) that residential holiday parks were exempt from the instruction to close. These are frequently limited by statute in the time that individual lessees are entitled to remain in residence (6 months comes to mind), and some also have touring pitches. How Trevor might be able to sniff these out I do not know, but I assume there will be an organisation dedicated to promoting their interests, from which it may be possible to obtain a list. Anyone know its name or location?

In the meantime, what about Premier Parks (a Warners Group interest) as a start? Contact Ashleigh Chadwick, Parks Sales Manager, Tel: 01778 392050. He may have, or be able to sniff out, a suitable organisation if none of their affiliates can help Trevor. Apologies to Ashleigh in advance for taking the liberty!
userhtrevor
Posted: 26 March 2020 3:15 PM

Thanks Derek
userhtrevor
Posted: 26 March 2020 3:16 PM

Thanks Jeremy I am Vegan though.
userhtrevor
Posted: 26 March 2020 3:31 PM

Thanks Stuart.
I am currently at the Canterbury park & ride car park after overnighting. Thought that it would just do for the night as there wouldn’t be any facilities but there are. Drinking water tap, grey water drain, toilet block I am told which is open but haven’t checked it out and generally everything looks very clean, also very peaceful as only the occasional bus seems to be going into town. Took an exercise walk along the road and there is a fairly large Sainsbury’s there, not that I went in and a small post office also. The area is very nice as well, felt safe and none of the locals confronted me with their pitchforks so might stay here for a while. Main thing is I have water, so that will avoid me travelling around. Cost £7 per night which seems about right.
userhtrevor
Posted: 26 March 2020 3:35 PM

Many thanks Brian
userBulletguy
Posted: 26 March 2020 3:44 PM

Walks with the gods

Trevor

Well you know your friends and family best but this is an unprecedented pandemic everyone is going through and lessening risk is paramount. Lockdown means staying put and staying inside.

.........................................................................................................

Solwaybuggier

I agree and yes messages have been mixed and somewhat 'woolly' at times. Police in Yorkshire are also setting up checkpoints to ask motorists if their journey is essential. The sun has been out the past few days so non-key worker folk who are at home (or should be) see it as an opportunity to go off on a day out which is irresponsible.

https://tinyurl.com/t8mvubr
usersilverback
Posted: 26 March 2020 4:55 PM

Treasured contributor

Trevor

I think if you read the notice board you are only allowed 48 hrs stay, will they enforce that? you could explain your situation to them to see if they will let you stay!, what about the area you originated from or registered doctors area contact the council explain everything surely they would come up with something, even canterbury council might be able to help you, because after all you could say they have a duty of care!
Jonathan
userhtrevor
Posted: 27 March 2020 1:08 AM

Thanks John. I hope you are right.
userhtrevor
Posted: 27 March 2020 1:19 AM

Thanks Jonathan. I didn’t think of that. The amount of times I have been in Aires in France you might have though that I woukd have been aware of a possible time limit.
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 27 March 2020 8:01 AM

This Canterbury City Council webpage advises on changes to their Park & Ride services as a result of the Coronavirus pandemic

https://www.canterbury.gov.uk/info/20060/places_to_park/113/park_and_ride

(I’ve copied the guidance below)

(Canterbury Park&Ride.png)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Canterbury Park&Ride.png (100KB - 126 downloads)
userhtrevor
Posted: 27 March 2020 2:10 PM

Thanks Derek.
I have heard it is going to close also. I really do not understand why they want to do this. The motorhome section of this huge general car park is tucked away in a corner with about 20 parking bays. Since I’ve been here it’s usually only about a 1/2 full with about 4 other full time vanners besides myself self isolating.Why do they feel that they want to throw us out onto the road where the possibility of finding somewhere else with water and toilet disposal are almost impossible especially with these anti motorhome marches on the rise. There are no staff required except for rubbish disposal and we pay them £7 a day. The first part of the form that you supplied baffles me even more “Motorhome facilities will be closed to prevent motorhomers self isolating”. Surely the government would want people to ideally self isolate in the far corner of a large car park where this is no regular contact with other people, rather than be driving around the streets! “......prevent Motorhomers self isolating” why! What reason can they possibly have for shuttting it down. Just over 2 weeks ago I was enjoying myself in Spain. We understandably were told to leave and go back to our countries as soon as possible, where being a citizen we would be better looked after especially if we caught the virus. Now I am home the situation is even worse, being hounded out of places for no reason, closing all large campsites throughout the UK.....why? Why not leave the full timers there , without staff and just close the toilets? I really am feeling now as though I have become a social pariah
/second class citizen and I am sure that there are many others out there feeling the same way.
userBulletguy
Posted: 27 March 2020 2:15 PM

Walks with the gods

htrevor,

Something you might like to consider regards looking for a place to safely self isolate. Last night i viewed a YouTube clip uploaded by a Brit campervan owner who had to leave Portugal and filmed his enroute journey back to UK.

One of the comments posted was a viewer offering 'sanctuary' to park up on his two acres of ground. And that offer came just from him simply uploading a YT clip.
userjumpstart
Posted: 27 March 2020 2:27 PM

Forum master

Trevor

Why don’t you all refuse to leave.
userBrian Kirby
Posted: 27 March 2020 3:54 PM

htrevor - 2020-03-27 2:10 PM....................I really do not understand why they want to do this. The motorhome section of this huge general car park is tucked away in a corner with about 20 parking bays. Since I’ve been here it’s usually only about a 1/2 full with about 4 other full time vanners besides myself self isolating. Why do they feel that they want to throw us out onto the road where the possibility of finding somewhere else with water and toilet disposal are almost impossible especially with these anti motorhome marches on the rise. There are no staff required except for rubbish disposal and we pay them £7 a day. The first part of the form that you supplied baffles me even more “Motorhome facilities will be closed to prevent motorhomers self isolating”. Surely the government would want people to ideally self isolate in the far corner of a large car park where this is no regular contact with other people, rather than be driving around the streets! “......prevent Motorhomers self isolating” why! What reason can they possibly have for shuttting it down. Just over 2 weeks ago I was enjoying myself in Spain. We understandably were told to leave and go back to our countries as soon as possible, where being a citizen we would be better looked after especially if we caught the virus. Now I am home the situation is even worse, being hounded out of places for no reason, closing all large campsites throughout the UK.....why? Why not leave the full timers there , without staff and just close the toilets? I really am feeling now as though I have become a social pariah/second class citizen and I am sure that there are many others out there feeling the same way.

There is a difference between self-isolation (the term the council has used), which I understand as the stage reserved for those who have as yet undiagnosed symptoms, and social distancing, which is what the rest of are advised to adhere to, is a way to minimise the unwitting spread of the virus by those of us who have no symptoms, but may nevertheless be carrying/incubating the virus. Not trying to split heirs, but I wonder whether the council is saying self-isolate advisedly and might take a different attitude if persuaded that you are social distancing and without symptoms, rather than self isolating with symptoms?

I assume the council is merely reacting to complaints from residents that visitors present an additional health risk to them. It's just a long shot, but 01227 862000 is the 'phone number for the City Council. I wonder if it might be worth contacting them as someone who is temporarily homeless to see if they would be willing to treat your stay on the park and ride as housing a homeless person?

Failing that, what about your home local authority where, after all, I assume you are paying (via your tenants) council tax, to see if they have or can suggest anywhere you could stay until this blows over? After all, you have your own accommodation, so all you need is somewhere to park legally until you can regain access to your house.

At the extreme, would you be to serve notice on your tenants which, were you to do so, would possibly make them homeless instead - which prospect might sharpen minds a bit compared to just finding somewhere you could park your van? You are, after all, legitimately a refugee from Covid-19!
Jump to page : First 1 2 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator