Stranded in Spain (pt 2)

htrevor

Hi

Made it back to the Uk eventually. Appreciated all your advise to get back ASAP and in hindsite I was stupid in thinking that I might see it out in France. Even on my last day in a little Aires in Calais the police were patrolling outside my van and they were hammering a notice at the entrance which was to close the site that day. Relief in getting this side but a completely different situation here. I found a park and ride car park outside Canterbury for tonight but nothing to do and it was a long evening especially with the extra hour. So it looks like I am going to be travelling around for sometime in bits and pieces places which is against the governments advise and probably searching everyday for water. I looked on Campercontact which is my usual goto whilst travelling and it showed 2 water points in the whole of the Uk. Well I’m back in my homeland which is the place to be especially if I get sick but I feel my problems are only just starting and now I hear that their is some kind of countryside rebellion against people moving into their parish and bringing their virus with them. Already I can see trouble ahead in my bid to find a nice Countryside place to self isolate for a period without feeling a social pariah!

Ps By the way I am a single traveller of no fixed abode.

Fiat Ducato 600d Amundsen Westfalia

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pleased you made it back - best place to be - in your own country where you understand the system & language.

There was an article on TV a couple of days ago - basically saying that farmers are going to struggle for farm workers now, because the foreign workers from Rumania etc can't get here. I think it was local news here in Kent?

There may be an opportunity for you here? If farmers want worker you may be able to do a trade - you let me stay on your farm and I'll do some work for you? Or I guess they have accomodation for these itinerant workers?

How you find out about it I'm not sure, any ideas anyone?

Jeremy

There is a thread on wildcamping.co.uk about places for fulltimers to stay, haven't followed it myself as doesn't concern me, but might be worth looking at.

p.s. can't find the thread at moment, but there was one a few days back.

Trevor,

Do you have some friends or family with room to park up your van? At least you've then got water, electric PLUS.....an address you could get grocery items delivered to you. Everyone is battening down the hatches so yes, non-essential travel has been discouraged.

This is probably the Wildcamping forum discussion Colin had in mind:

https://wildcamping.co.uk/threads/thread-for-safe-havens-for-full-timers-only.79374/

It’s currently a 5-page thread and I’ve browsed through it as a ‘guest’ - which means that I cannot see postings in their entirety without registering on that forum and logging in. It’s probably worth Trevor registering/logging in as some useful information, advice and links are there.

My neighbours own a large caravan permanently sited on a privately-owned non-residential caravan-park on the Gower coast. A few days ago they told me that the caravan-park had opened (which surprised me as I thought mid-March would be too early) and the owners of the caravans could stay there if they so chose. However, my neighbours said that the owner of the caravan-park had warned them that (as Trevor has mentioned) local people were unhappy with the idea of ‘holiday makers’ arriving, making use of local services/shops and, potentially, increasing the risk of Covid-19 infection in the area.

It is understandable that locals will feel inhospitable to people they see as non-essential travellers taking up residence in their caravans or second homes in rural areas but on the subject of refugee full-time motorhomers who are being expelled from other countries where they have been staying as visitors, there does need to be some thought-through provision for them to stay somewhere when they get back into UK. 

I would suggest that C&CC should keep their Canterbury Club Site (which is fairly close to Dover) open for this purpose, even if they would need to keep the toilet blocks locked.  I don't know whether the Canterbury Park & Ride Motorhome Parking Area is still open but the toilet emptying and water facilities were primative last time we used it, so that would need better maintenance and supervision than it used to get.

May be of use...... This just published by the BBC -

on this site:- https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52040539

"Hundreds of jobs at Moy Park

The poultry giant is searching for hundreds of temporary staff to work at its processing sites across the UK.

The company is looking for people to join its teams across a range of roles in its agriculture and production operations.

"There has been a noticeable increase in grocery sales as people practise social distancing and self-isolate," said Kirsty Wilkins, Moy Park's HR and performance director.

"This has resulted in a heightened demand for chicken produce and with it, opportunities in the sector to meet this demand.""

Bulletguy

I think it’s more than discouraged - unfortunately messages from the Government have been mixed, to say the least, but it is an instruction. Certainly Cumbria Police are stopping caravans and motorhomes from today. And certainly round here you would not find a welcome arriving in a MH! I would suggest you look to minimise further travel - stop close to where you are.

Although the CMC (belatedly) shut their sites and told people to leave, I believe they were going to consider the position of full timers on a case by case basis. I don’t know what has come out of such considerations, And I can’t imagine they’re going to welcome anyone who’s not already on a site. It just might be worth ringing them though?

As for Moy Park, isn’t that where workers walked out yesterday over dangerous working conditions?

FWIW, I heard (radio or TV) that residential holiday parks were exempt from the instruction to close. These are frequently limited by statute in the time that individual lessees are entitled to remain in residence (6 months comes to mind), and some also have touring pitches. How Trevor might be able to sniff these out I do not know, but I assume there will be an organisation dedicated to promoting their interests, from which it may be possible to obtain a list. Anyone know its name or location?

In the meantime, what about Premier Parks (a Warners Group interest) as a start? Contact Ashleigh Chadwick, Parks Sales Manager, Tel: 01778 392050. He may have, or be able to sniff out, a suitable organisation if none of their affiliates can help Trevor. Apologies to Ashleigh in advance for taking the liberty! :-)

Thanks Stuart.

I am currently at the Canterbury park & ride car park after overnighting. Thought that it would just do for the night as there wouldn’t be any facilities but there are. Drinking water tap, grey water drain, toilet block I am told which is open but haven’t checked it out and generally everything looks very clean, also very peaceful as only the occasional bus seems to be going into town. Took an exercise walk along the road and there is a fairly large Sainsbury’s there, not that I went in and a small post office also. The area is very nice as well, felt safe and none of the locals confronted me with their pitchforks so might stay here for a while. Main thing is I have water, so that will avoid me travelling around. Cost £7 per night which seems about right.

Trevor

Well you know your friends and family best but this is an unprecedented pandemic everyone is going through and lessening risk is paramount. Lockdown means staying put and staying inside.

.........................................................................................................

Solwaybuggier

I agree and yes messages have been mixed and somewhat 'woolly' at times. Police in Yorkshire are also setting up checkpoints to ask motorists if their journey is essential. The sun has been out the past few days so non-key worker folk who are at home (or should be) see it as an opportunity to go off on a day out which is irresponsible.

https://tinyurl.com/t8mvubr

Trevor

I think if you read the notice board you are only allowed 48 hrs stay, will they enforce that? you could explain your situation to them to see if they will let you stay!, what about the area you originated from or registered doctors area contact the council explain everything surely they would come up with something, even canterbury council might be able to help you, because after all you could say they have a duty of care!

Jonathan

Archived