Streaking on Motorhome

Guest alex blower

Guest alex blower
How do you get rid of the streaking on the sides etc. of a motorhome. Have tried washing then using Mer. Nice finish but you can still see the dull streaks faintly. Can you T.Cut it? Any help much appreciated. Thank you all.

Guest neil whiting
dont know how good autoglym is but i use a product called muck off. you wash your motorhome as normal, then spray any streaks with muck off and rub, and it removes them no problem. also good for removing tar and flys etc bought it at newbury motorhome show but have seen it at halfords

Guest David
Hi Neil, I tried Autoglym it wasnt worth the bottle it was packeged in. Mer did the job better, but beware do not use Mer on GRP as it is silicone based. The Autoglym went in the bin. Possibly when you get the streaks off, try Mer gel that is used on the Black plastics and rubber as it is the oxydisation of the rubber that causes most of the marks. David

Guest David Powell
At some M/H Shows there is a man selling a cleaner called "PINK STUFF" it cleans just about anything, including those black streaks. Just spray it on, or neat out of the tub, leave for 20 minutes and wash it off, streaks gone.

So will kitchen "cream cleaner" but you would be mad to use such an abrasive material on your coachwork. I know Autoglym works as it has the right petrol based solvents in it to take the streaks away easilly and I use it myself (when I have enough cash for such an expensice car polish!).

Guest Derek Uzzell
I believe most car polishes contain silicone (plenty of previous forum postings on this). There are certainly specific 'detergent'-type products for removing black-streaking, though I found a strong concentration of Fenwick's Motorhome Cleaner did a pretty good job. If streaking has been allowed to remain on the bodywork surface and treatment with a slightly abrasive polish (like Mer) still leaves faint traces, then VERY careful use of a cutting compound like T-Cut might be worth trying. Personally, I wouldn't bother as the chances of doing more harm than good are high. Might be worth visiting www.farecla.co.uk as Farecla products are the only ones recommended by Auto-Sleepers for cleaning/polishing their motorhomes.

Guest Georgina Powell
....Streaking on a cricket pitch or a football field occasionally is O.K. for a laugh. But on a motor home??? A bit O.T.T....should be 'get em on' not 'get em off'

Guest Mike C
Reckon you need to get some of that PINK STUFF Georgina. Does it remove streaks from bacon as well?

Guest Norma
The other thing that helps is Fiamma drip stop. This is a very small self adhesive rubber gutter. You then have some control of where the streaks appear! Put along the top of the van it soon merges into the van.

Guest Roger Corbett
I have been very impressed with Fenwicks - the cleaner does a good job and following up with the Bobby Dazzler seems to keep it clean for far longer than any polish. I have tried Autoglym but it didn't last long and then read the posts about the effects of silicon on GRP! I use a fertilizer spray for the BD (about £5 from B&Q) attached to the hosepipe with a couple of capfuls - once around the van is enough.

Guest David Powell
Thanks for your information about Fiama Drip Stop Norma. I just bought three lengths of it at the Newburry Show, so now I know I haven't wasted my money and it will work, and can stick it on with confidence. Fiama price £18.99...Johns Cross £15 special show price.

Guest Norma
You may find the little wipes with the drip stop a bit on the small side. If you can find any more isopropyl alcohol it will be an advantage.

Guest Ceri
My husband has used MER for years and swore by it, still does. but now hes found this new product that really does shift the dreaded BLACK STREAKS,ALSO THE DEAD REMAINS ON OUR VAN AFTER A JOURNEY, NO EXPENSIVE CLEANERS FOR US ANY MORE, PAY A VISIT TO YOUR LOCAL "LIDL" STORE AND BUY THEIR " W5 BATHROOM MOOUSE" (99P PER TIN) NO RUBBING OR SCRUBBING JUST A SOFT SPONGE WILL DO THE JOB. OUR KONTIKI GLEAMS. Ceri

Guest alan
Ceri,Thanks for your posting.I tried it and it works amazingly well.At first I was worried that the product may be too caustic as it is so effective but then again it is designed for glass fibre baths.Many thanks

Guest Mike C
Hello Ceri, Another thank you for info on Lidl W5 Bathroom cleaner. It's great for cleaning UPVC window frames (house) as well.

Guest Norma
Thanks Ceri. You've broadened my mind. Just been and bought 2 cans after first visit to Lidl's. Can't wait to try it. Come to think of it I might even try it in the bathroom first.

Guest jiffyman
Have you tried Mr Sheen or Sparkle furniture polish? I was told it could be a good alternative to the other polishes on the market! I also use Meguiars too, very good stuff!

Archived