Suddenly, no sound from the TV?

curdle

My motorhome has a badged Hymer TV which is actually a German made Alphatronics. My wife is the usual the remote handler so when the TV sound ceased working, I suspected some button had been inadvertently pressed, but trying every possible combination of mute or source buttons or any other button has drawn a blank. I have checked all the wiring connections and tested a DVD in case it was TV sound only. No solutions from any of the actions. The alphatronics manual suggests in the troubleshooting section, that when all else fails, to turn the power off for a minute and then plug it in again. That has not helped.

Any ideas out there? The unit still has 5 months of a 3 year warranty left on it but given the difficulty of checking or claiming at the moment, I want to make sure it is not some simple solution to return the sound.

Keithl - 2021-02-16 1:14 AM

Does it have a headphone socket, possibly a 3.5 mm jack? If so do you have anything you can try plugging in to it?

Keith.

Excellent suggestion, I went and had a look. There is no visible headphone jack but there was a jack labelled PC audio. I plugged headphones into it and there is sound (with some interference). The TV is supposed to be able to connect to bluetooth speakers, but I do not have any to test it. There may well be a headphone jack somewhere but the way the TV is mounted (by Hymer) makes it impossible to access the right side of the TV without dismantling the wall bracket (and that faces the issue of difficult access to right hand connections to the bracket).

After trying all the suggestions, thanks, it turns out the TV may need to be re-programmed with an SD card according to the Hymer dealer that sold me the MH. Interestingly (but not surprisingly) they are now at odds with the warranty, claiming the "Hymer warranty" of 2 years means that I will have to pay £108.00 because it is out of warranty. The Alphatronics website and literature is explicit that the warranty on all their TV's is 3 years.

Just driving to the dealer would involve a 440 mile roundtrip which is clearly not going to happen, Covid restrictions or not. I have emailed Alphatronics and am going to make it their problem. Be interesting to see if Brexit is now wielded as an opt-out clause for EU warranties.

Just put a Sd card into it. Or a USB Stick loaded whit the correct info.And check the sience of sound levels on the lap top.THEIR ARE THREE SIZES OF HEADPHONE PLUGS.They work on my 20 years old AKAI world receiver. Are their switches making clicking noice..?.Is their a cd or dvd blocked in the unit. When was the last date you get sound out of it. Did you have external speakers added? Or a boom box outlet.Explore the digital world. Or pull it out And look at your i- Phone.

Problem fixed. Turning the EBL off and back on, re-booted the system and sound is restored. A good job too. The dealer responded that the 3 year warranty would not apply in their view since the manuals were produced for 'retail sales only' (sic). If, as in this case it was supplied with the MH then only the MH warranty of 2 yrs would apply, they stated. This is tosh of course, they cannot cherry pick around EU consumer law especially since Alphatronics warranty terms are quite explicit in stating that where their TV is sold with a motorhome, the warranty start date is the date of vehicle purchase. What is it with these dealers all being like snake oil vendors?

The sound was restored after we turned the EBL off and on and it rebooted the supposed "Hymer system" This seems to be a mirror of your rebooting your TV installation, thanks.

The Hymer distributor in the UK said we would have to pay to look at the system, A direct email to Alphatronics confirmed, in contrast, any repair would be under their normal terms of 3 year warranty, subject to us shipping the unit to Germany if the dealer would not cooperate. Travelworld got quite upset when I pointed out the difference in attitude and accused me of "threatening" them with legal recourse after they were "only trying to help" when refuting the warranty terms. (in typical passive aggressive terms they wished me a lovely day) Their attitude is: any units or parts thereof supplied as part of a motorhome order are only warranted for two years regardless of OEM supplier's warranty terms. This would suggest that of a £103,000.00 MH order only £62,000 of the base vehicle is covered by an OEM warranty because the balance of options are "part of a bespoke MH order" (sic) and thus no longer "retail" sales (sic).

Will this get worse in Brexit, when we can no longer refer to EU consumer law?

Archived