Suggestions for a (really) compact motorhome

jonnybeare

I'm looking for a motorhome, needs to be under 5.5m (due to driveway), sleep 4 and include a washroom/shower, up to about £25k. I've totally fallen in love with the Wingamm Micros, but they seem ridiculously rare, any other suggestions would be great...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will86 - 2020-04-27 11:55 AM

I have a family close to me who journeyed to Finland for several years in a standard VW. Two adults and two boys, it all depends how you mix and what sizes they are

I was considering a standard VW, maybe a California but then got seduced by the larger motorhomes with washroom/shower/etc.

Wingamm is an Italian manufacturer of the highest quality, the habitation is a very solid two-layer fiberglass monocoque filled with vacuum-injected insulating material.

Even for the smallest vehicles of the brand the cost is in the high end of the market, in Italy a Micros on Volkswagen Transporter T6 2.0TDI 150hp costs almost € 70,000.

Used van on the market are few, they are highly wanted because of the monocoque technology.

I owned one of a competing brand (AIEsistem), put on sale on Monday, on Saturday it had already been sold.

I doubt your budget is enough.

Max

Also Elddis Autoquest 100 or 200?

There are lots of converted van options such as VW, Toyota Alphard, Hyundai i800 etc. that fit the length criterion. All pretty much the same with pop-tops, rock-n-roll bed, side kitchen. Nice enough, but pretty cramped for 4 bodies!

mtravel - 2020-04-27 3:09 PM

Wingamm is an Italian manufacturer of the highest quality, the habitation is a very solid two-layer fiberglass monocoque filled with vacuum-injected insulating material.

Even for the smallest vehicles of the brand the cost is in the high end of the market, in Italy a Micros on Volkswagen Transporter T6 2.0TDI 150hp costs almost € 70,000.

Used van on the market are few, they are highly wanted because of the monocoque technology.

I owned one of a competing brand (AIEsistem), put on sale on Monday, on Saturday it had already been sold.

I doubt your budget is enough.

Max

I was thinking of an old one, a 2006 Micros sold in 2014 for £27k and one in 2011 for £29k, so I was thinking if an old one came up for sale now it might be in budget, although very unlikely as people probably want to keep them!

Guest pelmetman

Would 5.6 be too much? ;-) ......

If not a Ford travelhome would fit the bill B-) ......

Plus if the OP finds a good one.......he'll have 15k in beer tokens B-) ......

jonnybeare

For 4 ‘adult size’ sleeping berths (and 4 belted travel seats) in a compact-length motorhome, you would probably need to be looking at overcab designs. In 2004 several manufacturers were marketing overcab motorhomes up to 2.5m in length, but by 2006 those models had been discontinued.

This LHD 2006 Hobby’s specification includes 4 large beds, 4 travel seats and a pretty good bathroom - snag is that it’s 5.84m long.

The original Hymer Exsis models were 5.45m long, but the sleeping arrangements were less civilised.

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/50690-used-hymer-exsis-buyers-guide

I think Pössl does one on the smaller van by Citroen/Peugeot (I never remember the model name). Adria also does one on small Open/Renault base.

A friend has 3 kids and they still roll around in an old VW pop up top so I guess it's all a matter of perspective.

spirou - 2020-04-27 7:07 PM

I think Pössl does one on the smaller van by Citroen/Peugeot (I never remember the model name). Adria also does one on small Open/Renault base.

I found Possl Vario 545 launched in 2013 which is a really good layout but I think probably too expensive, was that the one you meant, or something else?

The original Hymer Exsis SG version suits your. Requirements exactly.

It was manufactured between 2003 - 6 and this version has 4 belted seats and 4 berths.

In magazine comparison tests in that era - the Exsis always came out on top of the Micros by its sheer practicality, but the Micros is a quality van - I considered one myself when I bought the Exsis from new.

I have owned mine from new as many others still do and many more are long term owners - difficult to compromise after owning one.

They are also rare and difficult to find, but the SK which only has driver/ passenger belts and 3 berths is more common.

There is a dedicated web site full of information from experienced owners and more recently enthusiastic new owners as us older ones 'retire' from motorhomes.

You can find us at exsisowners.com.

You can browse the site without joining, but you can't post. Non owners are welcome to join and it's free

Best wishes in your quest.

Fred

jonnybeare - 2020-04-27 7:57 PM

Derek Uzzell - 2020-04-27 6:54 PM

The original Hymer Exsis models were 5.45m long, but the sleeping arrangements were less civilised.

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/advice/50690-used-hymer-exsis-buyers-guide

I quite like the original Exsis, also a monocoque which has some advantages, very rare though, for a RHD one at least.

Although the Wingamm “Micros” has a complete GRP monocoque rear body, the original Hymer “Exsis” models have GRP front and roof sections with the remaining bodywork being of conventional (for Hymer) sandwich construction. MMM magazine reviewed an Exsis SK in 2005

https://tinyurl.com/yccm6j2k

I may have missed it but are we talking 2 adults and 2 kids(if so, what age/size are the kids) or 4 adults ?

I was just thinking, if you did find a van than fit your driveway,and at the right price, how long would it be before it became too much of a compromise, size-wise?

Also, will the MH be parked in front of the building line?(as in, backed up against the garage/house?)..If so, just make sure that won't fall foul of any covenants or pish-off any neighbours.

I know it's great to be able to have the van "to hand" but I wouldn't totally rule out keeping a MH in (local) storage. Especially if parking it at home would greatly restrict the choice and/or suitability of the van you can have.

It's for 2 adults and an 11 and 13 year old but one of them is as tall as me already so 4 adults really.

There's a big shared area/drive at the end of the garden, next to garages for several houses. The height won't block anyone's view but the length is pretty tight if we want to keep it within our garden boundary. I hadn't considered local storage, how much does that sort of thing cost?

I also don't want anything too big, it's my first MH, only had a campervan previously. Plus if it needs upgrading in a few years I'm alright with that.

jonnybeare - 2020-04-28 12:44 PM

It's for 2 adults and an 11 and 13 year old but one of them is as tall as me already so 4 adults really.

Have you considered decamping the kids into pup tents to make more space in the MH? By the age of yours our kids where only too keen to move out into pup tents for their own space! We found that all C&CC sites allowed two pup tents at no extra charge as long as they fitted on the usual pitch size, and as we didn't have an awning to erect this was easy.

Keith.

Hi again..

For four adult sized people to "live-within" a sub 5.5m van (only) ?, it'd say it'd be pushing it, to be honest..

Chances are, you will end up using an awning of sorts- you may even find it being used for one/two of you to sleep in?- and if you bear that in mind, maybe it would help broaden your van search ?

Maybe to smaller vans, whose primary roll is transporting your family and your clobber? that can also be a functional "day-out" van?.. instead of a compromise of a MH that is acting as a condensed-caravan..?

(Our first van was a 2 berth, 2003 Duetto.That was a 5.4m (ish) hi-top Transit and that could be "snug" with just the two of us!. Even the 6m Compass coach-built that followed it , could feel a bit "tight" if the weather closed in).

Sorry, no real idea about storage costs. I'd assume that it varies wildly.

I know my elder brother keeps a large caravan on an " approved"(cassoa?) storage site and the last i heard it was something like 300-350 quid a year?...No idea if that is still correct or whether it'd be relevant to your area anyway.

Edit Sorry Keith, I crossed you post (phone rang :$ )

This older Romahome R30 is only 4.8m?-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-ROMAHOME/402200052584?hash=item5da4fdc368:g:aIEAAOSws6RehlWU

..so something like that, with an awning or pup tents?

Pup tents are fine when it's warm and dry - but not a lot of fun when it's cold wet and windy - especially if you are moving on with a small van full of wet gear and disgruntled people.

It can be tough enough in a small van without adding an extra level of irritation!

Archived