Supplementary electric heater

david lloyd

A friend of mine has bought his first camper - a VW pop top. It has gas powered blown air heating (propex I think) but many times he is on sites with electric hookup and asked what type of electric heater should he buy to use in this situation to conserve his gas.

As I have never had the need for such an appliance I was unable to offer any suggestions but said I know some people who do!

I believe the choices are a small electric fan heater - although I would have thought these would be noisy, particularly if running through the night. Then there would be either tube or radiator filled with oil. Advantages of silent running - but do they provide sufficient heat? Finally, as far as my thoughts take me, there are ceramic heaters which I understand are quite small (lack of storage space in a VW) but not sure if they are noisy or have sufficient heating capacity.

So, does anyone have any experience in this area and would care to recommend any particular product - price and supplier would be welcome too.

Many thanks, David

I use a fan heater. I have two & take the most appropriate according to the trip.

The first is a DeLongi 2kW (also has a 1kW setting) - use this mainly in the UK in the colder months. The thermostat stops the fan on this one, so it isn't too noisy at night. Bought this to heat my hovel at the last employent many years ago - cost under a tenner from a long gone discount store called Tradex.

The other is a Tesco ceramic heater rated at 1.5kW (also has a 0.75kW setting). - take this mainly abroad. The lower setting is useful on lower current supplies found more regularly on foreign sites. The "ceramic" bit is the heating element - it is still a fan heater, but the fan runs continuously & the thermostat just switches the element on and off (maybe the ceramic element doesn't take kindly to being left hot in still air ?). Don't use this one at night, as it is noisier than the DeLongi. IIRC I paid £15 delivered for a new one from Ebay

Both are light weight and compact.

Only experience with oil filled radiatiors is at work, where a couple have leaked. Also had a couple of elements fail and, while removable, if available at all the replacements cost more than a replacement heater. Heavy & bulky too (in 2kW sizes).

Heat output ? 2kW from either a fan or radiator is 2kW ! A 2kW fan heater keeps 6.7 metre coachbuilts (Roller Team T-Line 670 & Chauisson Welcome 610) comfortable without running all the time. The smaller heater on the lowest setting does a better job in the Chausson bathroom than the Webasto blown air system.

HTH

Nigel B

We used an oil filled radiator in our last van. Quiet and effective. Downside was that ours was bulky to store (behind the driver seat) and took up floor space in the van. We worked out the interior volume of the van and bought one to do the job. It was fine. Also used it at home.

We have a couple of Dimplex 500 Coldwatchers , but only have used two in anger once!

One is plenty for a 7.4 m mhome, down to about freezing, Rapidos are quite well insulated, so once heated up, tend to require a fairly low level of heat maintenance.

Quite small, convector heaters that will switch off if too hot, or knocked over.

Rgds

geordy paul - 2018-09-12 8:17 AM

...A fan heater may be warmer but very noisy.

That depends on the fan-heater.

My ancient fan-heater has a large-diameter fan and, on its 1KW setting, is very quiet. In cold weather I leave it running all night with it stopping and starting according to the setting of its thermostat. I’m a light sleeper and it does not disturb me in the least.

With a camper or larger PVC space is of the essence, and given the smaller volume to be heated, it comes down to the smallest fan heater that you can purchase.

As I write we are using a 1200W fan heater on its low setting of presumably 600W. It is running continuously, and maintaining an indicated temperature differential of 11C. (9C external temp at the time of writing.) Being small it is probably too noisy to leave on all night, but not as noisy as a long haul economy class aircraft cabin.

If we require overnight heating in the UK, we leave the Truma gas water heater on, but then we rarely heat our bedroom when at home.

Alan

Derek Uzzell - 2018-09-12 4:27 PM

geordy paul - 2018-09-12 8:17 AM

...A fan heater may be warmer but very noisy.

That depends on the fan-heater.

My ancient fan-heater has a large-diameter fan and, on its 1KW setting, is very quiet. In cold weather I leave it running all night with it stopping and starting according to the setting of its thermostat. I’m a light sleeper and it does not disturb me in the least.

Thats great if it works for you,I'm a very lite sleepr too,the oil filled radiators are completely silent.

We have never used a Hester at night, even for years when we were skiing. Simply had 2 good duvets, one over one under. Then turned the cheap fan heater on before we got up for 5-10 mins and we're toasty! And on some nights we were down to -17C! 
But then we're tough down 'ere,  I do live on Romney Marsh!

Archived