Surging and poor starting

colin weston

Recently whilst on holiday I experienced engine surging at low speed in second gear when driving away from cold. The surging was not severe but noticeable. It soon disappeared and we concluded our holiday. This morning, after the van had stood for maybe about 3 weeks, I had difficulty starting. The engine was turning over but was reluctant to power up. After some more cranking it eventually ran, albeit unevenly for a short period, before settling down to a steady idle. When I was satisfied that is was running satisfactorily I drove for several miles and it behaved faultlessly although after pulling off my drive I could feel the slight surging. I reasoned that the problem was associated with a lack of fuel either due to air in the fuel system or perhaps water in the fuel. Having left the van standing in the drive for 3 hours I decided to do a restart and it started immediately. I am due to go away again in 10 days and have been unsuccessful in finding a local garage that can investigate the problem. Has anyone experienced a similar problem or can suggest what components might need replacing?

A diagnostic evaluation of pending fault codes, real time fuel pressure, injector correction values, at startup may give clues.

Perhaps have a 'breakdown' and call the AA/RAC. A mobile mechanic with a quality diagnostic machine may be an option.

Possible issues,

Partially blocked fuel filter.

Faulty injection system, one or more faulty injectors, HP Pump failure

Faulty LP fuel pump ( in the tank)

Throttle body failure.

Pneumatic actuator for EGR .

EGR.

Other less likely possibilities are sensor issues caused by temperature variations, but these should throw a fault code.

The fuel filter is an easy DIY with lots of guides on the Internet, available from Coastal Motorhomes and motor factors.

Good luck,

Mike

Thank you for your response and suggestions. My Motorhome is a Peugeot Boxer 4 with a 2.2 l engine rated at 120 hp. Whilst I think that the fault is probably fuel related if it were associated with fuel pumps, injectors, filter or air meter it surely wouldn’t drive normally. When I took the van out I went onto the local bypass and performed high acceleration as per white van man and it performed normally. I am going to do another start tomorrow morning after the van will have stood for some 20 hours. If it starts OK I will then extend the rest periods. I am unsure whether or not the AA/RAC carry extensive diagnostic equipment but it may be worth a try.

Colin

I presume you have checked the engine bay for a smell of diesel and all electrical connections are sound

Also have a look at the "Fuel Flow Rate Regulator", and maybe a sticking EGR V/V

An easy check would be to remove the rubber air hose feeding the throttle body and watch the action of the flap at idle (you will be temporarily running without turbo boost) to see if it is sticking or cycling due to oily deposits on same .

Regards

It probably isn't, but back in the day when engines were easy to work on the symptoms you have could have been an ingress of air into the fuel system, or a faulty injector pump fuel regulator.

Back in the day I would have looked for not quite tight enough fuel line or injector connections or filter bodies or maybe hairline cracks, sometimes seen as a very minor fuel leakage somewhere in the fuel system twixt tank and injectors.

But that was then - and now I would not know where to start looking - sorry I can't be of greater help!

Archived