Suspension

Guest Trevor Wright

Guest Trevor Wright
I have recently converted a Fiat Ducato 2.8D panel van into a camper. I’ve had problems with the suspension being too bouncy. I fitted rear gas shocks but this made it vibrate too much and gave a harsh ride. Has any one tried Driverite air suspension (from Autovan in Dorset) or any other means of rectifying this problem?

Guest Derek Uzzell
Trevor: Tricky thing suspension tuning. Does "bouncy" mean the vehicle pitches front-to-rear over undulations (which would suggest the suspension needs stiffening up) or does the back axle hop up-and-down vertically over relatively small road imperfections (which would suggest it's overly firm). Wheelbase length will also have an influence - the shorter the wheelbase the worse the effect in both cases. With a panel-van-based motorhome that may be well below the original van's maximum design weight, you may need to reduce tyre-pressures quite significantly from Fiat's handbook recommendations to obtain a comfortable ride. Before going down the Driverite route (or AirRide from Symonspeed), I suggest you weigh your 'van and take advice as to whether you can safely lower the inflation pressures. If you can, I suspect you'll find that lower tyre-pressures + your gas shock-absorbers should provide a firm yet comfortable ride. What length is the wheelbase on your 'van, what are the tyre types/sizes and what pressures are you using, and what are the weights on the VIN-plate?

Answer here is the vans not got enough weight,not loaded,hence the jump about.Perhaps the previous owner fitted heavy duty springs as people do.Surely the dampers are not seized are they,they should pull out and in with pressure on the bench. Good Luck, Gordon..

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Trevor Wright
Thanks for you comments Derek and Gordon. The van is a medium wheel-base high top 2.8 diesel Fiat Ducato. I haven’t had it weighed yet but it must be well under max pay load. Who would one talk to regards reducing tyre pressures? I talked to both Autovan and Symonspeed and both say air bag system would improve comfort of ride but I don’t want to spend a lot of money on their say so alone. Answers to you question Derek: Tyres 195/15; pressures 65 rear, 59 front; weights on Vin plate 3250kg, 5250kg, 1-1690kg, 2-1750kg. Would welcome any further comments - Trevor.

Archived