Sutton Bank

bootlucy

It was a long time ago and maybe I was just lucky but treated with caution it gave neither me nor any other road user in the area no problems whatsoever.

That said an 8 metre A class will be a bit more of a handful than a VW camper so size does matter!

There are far more difficult roads in the Alpes and Pyrenees but maybe people over there are more adept at using them?

Hi BootLucy,

Assuming you still have the Bailey 635 then this is a similar size to our AT (approx 6.5 m long) and will not have any trouble going up or down Sutton Bank.

We have been both up and down during recent years, the last time being down only two weeks ago.

My suggestion for going up would be that if there is anyone in front then wait on the short level before the left hand hairpin until you have a clear run around the hairpin. You do not want to be doing a hill start on the hairpin if the car in front gets it wrong! And yes we have seen it happen.

Keith.

Brock - 2018-08-04 8:07 PM

Went up and down last year with almost 3.5 tons and 130bhp. Keep a good distance between you and the vehicles in front and behind and don't miss your gear changes.

Or even better, don't change gear!

Pull away on the flat and get into second gear and stay there, you will not have the power to pull a higher gear so just sit in second and take your time enjoying the view!

PS And we also only have 130 HP but tip the scales at nearly 3,700 kg and had no problem climbing the Bank.

There was an interesting exhibition at the top about the early vehicles boiling up going up Sutton Bank - but as said its easy enough for modern vehicles.

There is also a viewpoint at the top which 'James Herriot' (Alf Wight) declared as the best view in England. I think thats in keeping with about 90% of his stories being fiction. But you can see a long way over the flat plain of York in clear conditions - and not late in the day when the sun is in your face.

• 4 weeks later...
Well we went for it and guess what? met a broken down hgv half way up the first incline and had to pull in behind another lorry who had already stopped as the traffic coming down was non stop! The driver of the broken down hgv got out of his cab and stopped traffic so we could attempt to go up but as the lorry in front of me tried to set off he couldn't get any grip as there was leaking fluid all over the road so we both had to reverse down away and try again, all while the traffic is building up! Off went the lorry so I waited a while and with fingers and everything else crossed I made the hill start of a lifetime and the Boxer performed immaculately, a couple of wheel spins and we were on our way again . Sutton Bank- no problem, but begs the question why are HGV,s allowed when this happens so often ?

bootlucy - 2018-09-03 8:30 PM

why are HGV,s allowed

Whats the alternative?

Can you suggest a better route for them?

(I'm tempted to ask why Britain has spent so litle of its road tax on the roads that heavy traffic is using such unsuitable roads, but then I would be accused of bringing politics into Motorhome Matters again )

Archived