Swift 530 S

Guest Patrick Ingle

Guest Patrick Ingle
One retailer has a Swift 530S for sale with only 4700 miles on the clock. Registered 2002. Two previous owners. Has anybody any comments on why such a vehicle should have two owners in such a short time. I fancy the vehicle but am puzzled.

Could be pure chance, but two thoughts spring to mind (apart fropm the dreaded friday afternoon job) obscure layout that doesn't work in practice? (I haven't checked which model you are referring to so this may not be the case)/ stupidly low payload? check it under powered engine for size? check it too little storage space?check just thoughts... Regards, Ruth

Guest David Powell
Like Ruth says, it may be under powered. A friend of mine got rid of his similar model not long after he bought it new as it had a 2.0TD and he was used to 2.5 so he just could not tolerate the lower power. Is it by chance hilly country in your part of the world?

Guest Patrick Ingle
Thankyou to Ruth & David. I will check some of the points. Is this why models such as the Compass Avantgarde often appear for sale within twelve eighteen months?

Guest Derek Uzzell
There are many reasons why people sell their motorhomes - bereavement, illness, divorce, financial, change of circumstances etc. - that have nothing to do with the vehicle itself. (Our Herald was sold at 1 year of age when the previous owner gave up power-boat racing.) If the retailer doesn't know this motorhome's history (and that's perfectly possible), perhaps he/she will allow you sight of the registration certificate. This will carry the last owner's details and you may be able to find out more by getting in touch with him/her.

Guest David Powell
What Derek says about the registraion certificate just reminded me that when I showed a positive interest in my present 'van, [on the web] The dealer sent me an Email copy of the registration cert, previous owners etc, without me asking for them. And that was for an old 1991 'van. So perhaps if you are interested in this Swift, the dealer would show you the reg:cert: as Derek sugests.

Guest Mike C
Other places to trace the history of a vehicle are the Servicing Agent, the Vehicle Manufacturer and possibly the Coachbuilder. If there have been problems with the vehicle the record of warranty claims and reasons can be very enlightening. We traded in our Compass Avantgarde 100 after 3 months of trouble free use because of my wifes worsening disability so not all second hand nearly news are on the market because of problems.

Guest Patrick Ingle
Thank you to all those who have replied. To Mike C. Sorry about your wife. As the Avantgarde 100 is on our shopping list for retirement how did it measure up to Ruth's assessments re storage, engine etc.

Guest Mike Chapman
Hello Patrick, For just the two of us the Avantgarde 100 was perfectly OK. Our only problem was with the lounge sleeping arrangement that became unsuitable for Kay and the overcab bed was also a no-no. There was plenty of storage and the cab underseat trays were great for storing such items as frequently used hoses, cables, tyre compressor etc. We also carried a folding wheelchair on the floor in the motorhome using a purpose made security clamp (telescopic security bars screwed down hook clamps and aero-lastics). Folding bicycles could be carried the same way. The base vehicle was a Peugeot Boxer SWB 2.0 HDI and apart from running out of puff on some very steep hills and running into strong headwinds was perfectly adequate. (Would probably go for the 2.2 HDI now but this was not an option when we purchased). We were achieving 31mpg on a run and 28 mpg overall but this was steadily improving. Road holding was good but affected by cross winds at higher speeds (60+ mph) We did not own the vehicle long enough or do sufficient miles to make any comment on long term reliability. Our only real complaint was the unlit area at the step gap at the entrance door between the cooker unit and sink unit which we saw as a potential safety problem to anyone disabled or infirm. Could have done with the optional full oven as well. Personally, I would now consider the Avantgarde 300 MWB with the 2.2 HDI as a more practical motorhome and even at a £1700 difference still good value. We have a Ducato 2.3JTD based Swift Sundance 590 RS on order which is a similar layout to the Avantgarde but more suitable for Kay. Hope this is of assistance and if you have any further specific questions would be pleased to assist. Regards, Mike C.

Archived