You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
Swing out carrier for VW T6
AuthorMessage
userwhatsupdoc
Posted: 30 June 2020 11:34 AM
Subject: Swing out carrier for VW T6

Pops in from time to time

We're looking to carry a Fiamma ultra box 320 on the back of our VW.

As the rear door swings upwards, a standard bike rack might not be ideal.

Does anyone have any experience of swing out carriers? Something like the busbike would fit the bill (expensive, but they seem only to do panel vans anyway)?
usercolin
Posted: 30 June 2020 11:51 AM
Subject: RE: Swing out carrier for VW T6

Legendary contributor

I made our own(bike rack) for a x250, but I did look at quite a few. You might be able to get away with a hinge down type like bike rack which fits a tow bar, or a swing out one similar to the busbike that also fits a tow bar, but be aware these add a good metre to you van for the size of a two bike rack. Not sure on a busbike for VW, but they should add slightly less out back of your van.

Edited by colin 2020-06-30 11:54 AM
userRobinhood
Posted: 30 June 2020 12:51 PM

I had a Busbiker on my last 'van. It was ideal as transport for two e-Bikes, but a similar solution would be an expensive way of adding an ultrabox.

The Busbiker only fits the Sevel range, but Memo do a similar item for the VW.

https://www.roadpro.co.uk/product/03k-bike-racks-and-carriers/van-star-swing-away-cycle-carrier-for-vw-t5-t6-j6203a/J6203A

(I think there are one or two other Memo outlets in the UK).

I wouldn't be surprised if there were a more appropriate "Box Carrier" somewhere on the German market.
userRobinhood
Posted: 30 June 2020 1:48 PM

I've just checked the size of the 320 Ultrabox, and TBH, I think I'd rely on fitting it and a standard (Fiamma) tailgate bike rack.

It is of limited size, and will thus only take limited weight. Patently, it might make the tailgate somewhat heavier to lift, something that, if necessary, could be overcome by substituting uprated struts - usually an inexpensive option. e.g.

https://www.sgs-engineering.com/gsc3098-volkswagen-t6-tailgait-strut

I'd just check that Bilbo's rear roof design doesn't interfere with the raised position of the rack/box (I don't think it will)

(The Fiamma pictures of the 320 box show it on a standard, lifting tailgate rack)

The appropriate tailgate rack and uprated struts would be somewhat in the region of £300, rather less (very much so) than than a swing-out bike rack.
userwhatsupdoc
Posted: 30 June 2020 2:11 PM

Thanks for the comments so far.

We initially thought that a standard tailgate rack with upgraded struts would suffice, but were concerned that the tailgate would not stay up of it's own accord. And the contents of the box would be rotated through more than 90 degrees which, depending on what's in the box, might be problematic.

The Memo looks nice, but isn't cheap - all swing-out racks are expensive solution - but maybe a hnige-down may be a better (cheaper!) option. All depend on the appropriate clearance, of course.

Thanks for the suggestion re Germany - I'll certainly investigate.
userRobinhood
Posted: 30 June 2020 3:14 PM

Just had a quick search in German.

I think what you want is something akin to this:

https://www.aukup.de/Boxen-AHK/Gepaeckbox-schwenkbar-AHK-fuer-Auto-mit-Reserverad::6065.html

(I know it says dog box, but I think the standard is a luggage carrier, the ventilation to make it into a dog-box is, I think, an add-on. It also headlines on 4X4 with spare wheel, but also mentions camper, and the picture is not a 4X4 with spare wheel).

The details are a bit sketchy, and I'm not pretending it's ideal, it's just an example of what a search might throw up. (and given the price appears to include the box and mount, not uber-expensive - though it requires a towbar)
userwhatsupdoc
Posted: 30 June 2020 4:17 PM

Robinhood - 2020-06-30 3:14 PM

Just had a quick search in German.

I think what you want is something akin to this:

https://www.aukup.de/Boxen-AHK/Gepaeckbox-schwenkbar-AHK-fuer-Auto-mit-Reserverad::6065.html

(I know it says dog box, but I think the standard is a luggage carrier, the ventilation to make it into a dog-box is, I think, an add-on. It also headlines on 4X4 with spare wheel, but also mentions camper, and the picture is not a 4X4 with spare wheel).

The details are a bit sketchy, and I'm not pretending it's ideal, it's just an example of what a search might throw up. (and given the price appears to include the box and mount, not uber-expensive - though it requires a towbar)

Thanks very much for this - my German is non-existent, but this definitely looks promising. I'll see if I can find more using this as a template for a search ...
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator