TB Turbo

Doctor Jazz

I have recently got a 1994 Talbot Express motorhome with a 2.5 diesel and a TB Turbo and intercooler

I thought the turbo was not working and fitted a boost gauge to check. This shows a maximum boost of about 5/6 psi.

Is this normal?

Can it be raised?

Thanks for anyones help

TB Turbo was the trading name of a company in Lancaster which fitted intercoolers to MHs and later remapped engines - as well as eventually becoming a Fiat Professional Dealership.  I used them and found them to be very good.  Unfortunately they went bust a few years ago and the trading name has died.

It's possible that whatever has been fitted to your MH was by them, especially the intercooler.  As far as I know Fiat/Citroen/Peugeot-based MHs of 1994 were still naturally aspirated and had no intercooler as standard.  A boost of 5-6 psi is an extra third of an atmosphere, so a 30% increase in the volume of combustable air going in - and perhaps that was as much as the engine could stand.  MHs of that era were terribly underpowered compared to modern ones.  You may need to consult a mechanic with experience of engines of that era if you want to improve things - but I somehow doubt that further modification will be affordable even if it's achievable at all.

I had a 1990 Fiat based Hymer B694 (tag axle, 4 ton model) and I sometimes even towed a big trailer with it.  I just had to change gear more often than is necessary with a modern MH but it did get there reliably enough in the end.

Production of the Talbot Express ceased in 1994 and (according to Wikipedia) a turbocharged version of the 2.5litre motor was factory-fitted. Based on comments on the Talbot Owners Club forum, that motor’s maximum boost was from 10psi to 14psi.

A potential snag with the turbocharging conversions from TB Turbos was that these did not necessarily follow the vehicle manufacturer’s approach. So, besides confirming which motor is involved (Allan’s question), before being able to say whether 5psi-6psi boost is ’normal’ and/or increasable, it’s likely to be necessary to know what TB Turbos did regarding the make/model of turbocharger they fitted and the design/size of the intercooler. As a TB Turbos conversion did not perform a water-into-wine miracle and the basic non-turbocharged powerplant remained unmodified, there’s also the possibility that TB Turbos allowed for this and (as Stuart touches on) deliberately kept the maximum boost relatively low.

Archived