TVs and Generators

sbsd2012

Hi everyone,

You have been so helpful so far, I wondered if I could be cheeky and call on your wealth of experience with two more questions?

We have just bought our first motorhome and need to get a TV for it. Is there anything that I need to look for? I did a web search and found this link, but is there anything in particular I need to think about? Of the motorhomes we have hired (research) we have preferred wild camping, not that I am sure if that makes any difference.

https://www.5-top.co.uk/televisions-for-motorhomes?

My second request is silent generators. As I have already mentioned, we prefer wild camping and want to explore silent/quiet generators. Again, is there any guidance you can offer as to what I should be looking for or need to consider?

Thank you in advance.

In my opinion, although Avtex are good TV's they are grossly overpriced. Look at other 12v powered TV's. As for a generator, there is no such thing as quiet, just not as noisy as the rest. Firstly you'll really alienate your neighbours if you use one, and secondly, do you really want to lug around a petrol generator and a can of petrol? Think of the smells they will create. If you really must have one consider a brand which can be converted to run on LPG.

Another option is a mains voltage TV operated via an inverter.

Does not need to be high output, but the higher the output the more things you can use, but the more it costs!

We used to use a pure sine wave 650 watt inverter with no problems.

We found an extra battery with solar panel charging via a good quality regulator was much more convenient and took away the need for a bulky generator for our use. Pay detail to the wiring quality also for miminum power loss.

I had an Avtex until last year, agree with previous post ....overpriced. After its departure from this mortal coil I've replaced said Avtex with one of the Cello range around £200 for 19" FHD non Smart version, barely perceptible difference in picture quality etc. when compared to the Avtex if memory serves. The Cello does require a regulated 12v supply which is provided if you select Caravan and Motorhome versions of the range. The Avtex had the 12v reg. inbuilt. Poor efficiency to run a 12v/240v invertor

The Honda generators are universally reckoned to be the quietest (or least noisy some might say!) of 1Kw and 2Kw generators, expensive when compared to the opposition/alternatives. Kipor generators are also considered to be near Honda in quietness, so they should be, because Honda are invariably suing them for patent infringements so it's rumoured ie reknowned as Honda knockoffs.

You may be aware that use of generators considerate or not, is a prime subject of concern, argument, fisticuffs in the motorhome world. :D

Solar panels, B2B charging, LED lighting etc are the measures I employ, so as not to require a generator. The carrying of petrol, maintenance, storage, plus the fact the it's often not practical to stick a generator outside, are additional downsides. But much of course depends on an individuals' m/home usage pattern.

If you are wilding a 12 volt tv with a voltage stabiliser. A second battery will give you more time off grid and for the price of the genny you would be better off putting the funds towards solar panels. We have a Honda eu10i converted to gas. It is rarely used just a back up for medical reasons. We would not use it if in company of other vans as there is no such thing as a quiet generator and have seen the ruckus that it can cause

sbsd2012 - 2022-05-25 8:01 PM

Thank you everyone for your prompt and informative replies. You have given me lots to research.

I really appreciate the help.

I'd forget paying out £900+ for a Honda generator and invest half that for a extra battery and a solar panel then you'll be accepted more places than you would with the generator.

To use a inverter to power a TV is very poor use of your battery system as soon as you switch it on it starts using power.

Many 240v TV's have a transformer in the lead taking 240v and transforming it to 12v I've a 22" JVC TV that started life like that I just removed the transformer and its worked for the last 10 yrs in the van

Agree with above. Solar panels with a good MPPT controller are the way to go for off grid unless you are wanting to go wilding in the depths of winter for more than three or four nights. Our current van has one 100w panel and a 120w battery and between May and September I can pretty much stay in one place indefinitely with enough power without hook up or relying on a generator.

As for the TV you dont need to spend a fortune on one. The smaller it is the less power it will use also. We just have a 16" Akura TV I think I bought about ten years ago for less than £100. It only uses 14 watts or 1.2 amps. The bigger the screen, the more power it will use. We also watch a lot of stuff on the laptop which I use a dedicated 12v charger for. Best thing to do with those is to always run them on the 12v charger fully charged. They draw next to nothing. About the same as the TV. A pair of USB powered speakers is often a good idea on the cheap low power TVs so make sure it has a USB port.

Archived