TYREPAL TYRE PRESSURE MONITOR

william4

Thinking of purchasing a Tyrepal Solar Colour Pro Monitor - £94 using CAMC discount . Looking on Amazon there appears to be a similar product / products at approx half the price of Tyrepal. I would appreciate any comments / experience of using tyre pressure monitoring equipment.

Thanks W.

I've not used a Tyrepal unit although I've been very pleased with the £20 Chinese clone/equivalent off of Ebay. I don't use it on the van anymore (as I can now display the pressures and temperatures from the factory TPMS) but it's still in use on my trailer and is very reliable and performing well.

Whether the extra cost of the genuine Tyrepal unit is worth it I cannot say.

I have a Tyrepal system on my van. Proved it’s worth a couple of years ago when I picked up a nail and Tyrepal alerted me to the fact pressure was falling enabling me to reach a lay-by and avoiding tyre damage as tyre still at 50psi when I stopped. Did have an issue after 2 years where the sensors even after changing the batteries kept giving false readings. As that particular model of Tyrepal had been discontinued Tyrepal replaced it with the current model, if I remember rightly for half price. Solar panel keeps the receiver unit charged so never had to plug into 12v supply.

Obviously can’t comment on other brands as not tried them, are the cheap ones solar powered? Tyrepal are an established name and that is important for safety critical equipment.

I find the functionality of the device really good, however, IMHO what lets it down a bit is the colour screen. In order for it to work on solar it needs to be in a sunny position, in the window and we all know LCD screens and sunlight don't go well together. I don't know whether running the screen plugged in gives it a stronger light. Perhaps a sunshade would be a good addition a bit like the LCD reversing cameras? Or even better a larger readout?

rooster63 - 2021-03-10 10:50 AM

are the cheap ones solar powered?.

Yes, I've never had to connect external power despite it now spending lengthy periods in the glovebox, between towing sessions.

If buying a cheapie it is important to check the maximum pressure it can handle as many don't go high enough for use with motorhome tyre pressures.

I have the original monochrome version of the TyrePal ‘solar’ system. It has worked OK, though it has proved essential for good-quality batteries to be fitted to the tyre-valve sensors (I use Eunicell-branded batteries that are cheaply bought online.)

I note that the current colour version of the Solar system

https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/product/kit-brand-new-solar-colour-pro-monitor-4-tcso-sensors/

has tyre-valve sensors using CR1632 batteries (rather than the smaller CR1225 batteries used on my TyrePal system) which should usefully increase the interval between battery replacements.

Where a long motorhomes has a spare wheel at the rear (and it is intended to fit a sensor to the spare wheel) it would be worth noting the caveat

Maximum signal range is 7.0m. But this can be boosted by another 7.0m using our Smart Signal Repeater

https://www.tyrepal.co.uk/product/smart-signal-repeater/

It’s certainly possible to purchase much cheaper ‘look-alike’ systems online (example here)

https://tinyurl.com/354hevw4

but as Steve warns - and as is the case with the example - such products may be unsuitable for motorhome applications where tyre pressures are high and the vehicles tend to be large. (Also a good idea to look at the buyer reviews...)

Previous O&AL forum comments that have included a “TyrePal” reference are listed here

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/search/query.asp?action=search&searchforumid=all&keywords=tyrepal&author=&days=&Submit=Search

There used to be a similar Michelin-branded system

https://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/caravans/news/looking-for-a-tyre-pressure-monitoring-system

but I think that version is no longer marketed.

We have an older TB99 TyrePal system, that had much the same 7 metre range comment but I feel caveated with "may be required".

Our use is over 7 metres range and it works without the repeater.

If marginal I would "suck it and see" before investing in the repeater, which also comes with the significant hassle of requiring a DC feed, not as other components simply self powered, rechargeable or using long lasting batteries.

We have the solar powered one in our 7.5 Burstner A class, it sits on the o/s corner of the dashboard close to the air outlet. Although in bright sunlight it is a bit hard to see as it has an audible alarm should a problem arise not too worried. Other than when first setting it up never charged it. It goes to sleep when no movement detected, the van has been parked in our garage since 27 Dec 2019 with the blinds closed. It wakes up when I step in the van and still shows 75% battery state. Good bit of kit IMO.

The thing to really beware of is not the 7 metres 'range' of the TyrePal systems (that should be plenty adequate in most cases) but - as was highlighted twice above - the much shorter range of some of the cheapo tyre pressure monitoring systems being advertised online. It was the latter types of system that william4 was asking about in the original posting.

Archived