Taking motorbikes into Europe

MagHal

Came across this today has anyone any experience of this?

Riders who choose to haul their bikes between Europe and the United Kingdom have been facing some annoying Brexit fallout. According to the Federation of European Motorcyclists’ Associations (FEMA), there seems to be confusion about what constitutes a temporary import situation—and riders are getting slapped with hefty fines as a result.

This article relates:-

https://www.femamotorcycling.eu/motorcycle-transport-uk-eu/

Hopefully just an "I" crossing or "t" dotting excercise?

Could get round it by riding the bike across the border, and A N Other eg wife driving the motorhome, thus making the bike a vehicle in it's own right- but what a palaver!

I wonder just how many cases have occurred?

Jeremy

I took my motorbike exposed on a rear mounted rack, into France on 1st Dec. with no questions

asked at Dieppe ferry port. I always carry original paperwork such as V5, insurance cert. to

show intent, if not actually prove that I intend to take it home.

I can't see that the motorhome itself isn't any different, it is after all a temporary import, strictly speaking

I suppose a Temporary Import Carnet Form should be submitted as one is obliged to, on entry to say Morocco.

No, Im not on that forum. Think it was wildcamping.co.uk but cant find it now. Anyway, pretty sure it wont effect us with a scooter on a rack.

I suspect that the people getting hauled over and fined are those carrying half a dozen ''competition'

bikes or similar, untaxed uninsured unregistered and giving the impression that they're going to

be flogged on for a profit. Which no doubt is sometimes the case.

witzend - 2022-01-07 9:41 AM

Barryd999 - 2022-01-05 7:40 PM

No that wasn't it. Maybe it was somewhere else.

It been on WC a couple of times I remember reading it an your post.

Cheers. Thought it was on there but cant find it now. Doesnt matter as Im pretty sure it was decided it wasnt going to be an issue.

Archived