Talbot Express. Problems removing spark plugs.

Guest Pete

Just wondering if any of you petrol Express owners have had any bother removing the plugs. I was attempting this today and got three of them out OK, but the last one has jammed solid after being unscrewed, won't turn either way, the socket is also stuck at the bottom of the plug tube. I was using an ordinary plug socket, is there a special socket for this. It is the plug in cylinder 4 which is very awkward to get at due to being under the brake master cylinder. Thanks, Pete.

Guest Mike P
Pete, Yes there's a special long thin socket (expesive special tool from Peugot Talbot dealers. I've got one but no longer have a Talbot, you can have it for the cost of P&P. Hopefully hour socket is just wedged by crud and some patient wiggling will get it out. Best of luck

Pete,Must be the season for getting our M/H's ready,i've just had similar problems,my 1/2" drive plug socket wouldn't fit at all,my 3/8" drive plug socket would (just) fit,but i only have a 4" extension bar with the 3/8" drive.So, I had great fun and games changing the plugs,all together took me over 2 hours(the French got a fair 'Cursing' i can tell you.) I now have to get a 6"x 3/8" extension bar(with a stronger ball grip so it doesn't keep leaving the socket behind !) By the way,to change the engine oil you will need an 8mm square socket for the Sump plug. Another hour to change the oil!! what should take 10 mins. Yes, Talbots have quite a few 'French Eccentricities' (I'm being polite!!)RayJ

Thanks for the advice Ray, pleased I'm not the only one having probs. Thanks also to Mike for the kind offer, how can I contact you? Regards, Pete.

Pete, Ray You don't know you're born! I replaced the plugs on a VW Beetle once. It took five. Yes 5!! No, not a 5 cylinder engine, one plug got "lost", never to be seen again. I had to purchase another (5th) one. It transpired later that it took less time to remove the engine than to replace the plugs in situ. Also, try replacing the plugs in a fully emmisioned Chevy van. I had to do it by removing the front wheels and using an 18" extension bar through the inner wheel arches. This is true, I have actually done it. Also, try removing the starter motor from a Chevrolet Chevette without first removing either the engine or transmission. Jesus, that is job to make you swear. I have done it three times. The third time it really goes well, the first.... let's just say you need a few hours.... Then there's the clutch on a Rover 2000. The factory manual says you need to remove the engine and transmission as a complete unit and then spilt it. This is because you cannot remove just the transmission. We did it by removing just the engine! Not to be recommended but probably easier than removing both units. Then there's simply removing the battery from a GMC van. You had to remove the brake master cylinder to actually get the battery out. This was probably because a different, larger battery had been fitted by a previous owner but it still had to come out.... So, come on lads, those Talbot Express plugs can't be that bad, can they....? Regards Neal

Guest Mike P
Hi Pete, e-mail your address to me at brewer@hesketbrewery.co.uk (better virus & spam protection at work) and I'll send it on

Guest Steve knight
I had similar problems with a standard spark plug socket when I first tried to remove them. I bought a long (10" or so) box spark plug socket from Halfords for about £8 and cut it down. I can now get all plugs out easily.

Archived