Talbot Highwayman Leaking roof

Guest Terry P

Guest Terry P
I have the above vehicle which i have owened and enjoyed for 9 years I have discovered a damp spot at the rear nearside corner inside the showerroom/toilet in the spring I,am going to remove the outside alloy roof roof trim and reseal. Can any fellow motorhome owner recomend a sealent to put on the trim before refixing ?

Guest Derek Uzzell
As there are a variety of mastic-type products suitable for re-bedding a trim-strip I suggest you seek advice from a local caravan repairer as to what they use. Probably the best sealants, in terms of quality, are made by SIKA (see www.sika.com) and SIKAFLEX 221 (which comes in 4 colours) would certainly do the job. But it ain't cheap and anything stuck with it tends to stay stuck! However, you will find that much cheaper cartridges of sealant are readily available from caravan accessory shops. Read the label and get something that remains flexible but forms a 'skin' where it is in air-contact. Some sealants remain sticky on the surface and, as a consequence, pick up dirt and make vehicle cleaning difficult.

Guest David Powell
Over the last 50+ years of fighting the dreaded water ingress [yes I am well over 70 and weight restricted] among the best sealants I have found is Hodgson's Seamseal CV, non drying bedding sealant, supplied by my local caravan repair workshop. It does not form a skin, but the surface will become dry after a few days, so exposed sealant does stay fairly clean. As it does not form a skin, body flexing does not cause leak paths, adhesion is excellent, and it is easy to work, but do not use it with rubber gaskets.£3 per cartridge, various colours. To get right to the root of the problem,don't be afraid to strip off your aluminium trim, and any other fittings near the leak that may be contributing towards the ingress, and completely remove all the old sealant before resealing and refitting. Don't be down hearted, many a coach built 'van over three years old has a leak somewhere, and usually the owners have not found it yet. Good luck.

• 1 year later...
Hi Terry, I only just found your posting and have an interest as I've just finished completely re-skinning a 1990 Highwayman because of water ingress. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news nut in my experience by the time damp has become noticeable inside the 'van the framework is all but shot! One major point of ingress on these vehicles is the screws which hold the corner aluminium trim and gasket capping in place. Sadly they only used plated screws during manufacture instead of stainless steel ones and these rust out leaving a porous funnel straight into the heart of the timber framing. Mine was also leaking near the boiler flue and that was the major cause of my problems. On rebuilding I used Sikalastomer 710 butyl sealant as it's non setting but sticks like the proverbial on a blanket. i hope you are luckier than I was. D.

Archived