Tancarville Bridge Toll

Richard J

Richard

The 2019 tolls for the Pont de Tancarville (and Pont de Normandie) are shown in the attachment below.

Contrary to widespread belief on UK forums, motorhomes are treated exactly like other vehicles regarding French autoroute/bridge toll-charging and do not fall into any special ‘camping-car’ category.

Your 2004 Swift Lifestyle motorhome is likely to be in Classe 2 - so 3.20 € for the Tancarville Bridge toll. If it’s over 3.0metres high it would be in Classe 3 and the toll would be 3.80 €

This webpage provides more detail

https://www.autoroutes.fr/FCKeditor/UserFiles/File/TARIF%20CCI%202015.pdf

and indicates that cash (Espèces) and credit cards (Carte bleue) are accepted for paying the toll.

tolls.png.24ff63c4bd1ad02b441a80fad1143a8f.png

Hope I’m not invading, I have a 8.6 L. By. 3.3 H tag axle , what would this be classed as 2 / 3 / or 4 ?

I was wondering what class this would come into , could easily influence whether I use tolls / bridges

On my first trip to France in September, regards kenny d

Kennyd - 2019-05-14 8:47 PM

Hope I’m not invading, I have a 8.6 L. By. 3.3 H tag axle , what would this be classed as 2 / 3 / or 4 ?

I was wondering what class this would come into , could easily influence whether I use tolls / bridges

On my first trip to France in September, regards kenny d

Your motorhome very definitely falls into Class 4 - I’ve capitalised the critical factor below.

Class 1 : Height less than 2 metres and the total weight is less than 3.5 tonnes. Most light vehicles such as cars, 4x4s, mono-spaces with or without a trailer that is less than 2 metres high

Class 2 : Height between 2 and 3 metres and the total weight is less than 3.5 tonnes. A class 1 vehicle towing a trailer/caravan that is between 2 and 3 metres high; most camping cars or utility vans; pickup vans with habitable space

Class 3 : Height is above 3 metres, 2 axles or the total weight is over 3.5 tonnes. HGV, buses and large camping vans

Class 4 : Height is above 3 metres, 3 OR MORE AXLES, the total weight is over 3.5 tonnes. Also a Class 2 with a trailer/caravan which has a height of more than 3 meters

Class 5 : Motor-bikes with or without a side car, 3 wheel bikes

(You could try the ‘pressing the help button’ ploy Billggski mentions and you might get away with it - but Class 4 is correct for your motorhome.)

Just to add to my own post, we used the Tancarville crossing this morning, I didn’t realise that my Liber-t toll tag would work there, so much easier, just like the toll roads, you don’t even have to stop.

Thank you all for your contributions.

Richard

Kennyd - 2019-05-15 4:50 PM

Thanks , billggski & Dereck , that’s the way I read it but , just wanted to make sure

I think I will need to stay away from toll roads where possible

Besides the ‘normal’ toll charges based on vehicle classification, there may be variations according to the season or time of day. Billggski mentioned the Millau Viaduct and it will be seen from this file

https://www.leviaducdemillau.com/sites/default/files/pdf_depliants_tarifs_2018_0.pdf

that the toll-charge for Class 1 and Class 2 vehicles is higher during the period 15 June to 15 September, though the charges for Classes 3, 4 and 5 don’t alter.

It will also be apparent that the ‘outside of summer’ charge of 12.40 € for a a vehicle in Class 2 (which most French motorhomes fall into) more than doubles for a Class 3 vehicle (28.20 €) and almost triples for a Class 4 vehicle (36.70 €)

There’s a routing calculator here

https://www.autoroutes.fr/index.htm?lang=en

that can be used to obtain an estimate of the toll-charges for a trip. As an example, the toll-charges for a Calais-to-Bordeaux journey were 79.70 € for a Class 2 vehicle, 136.00 € for a Class 3 vehicle and 178.60 € for a Class 4 vehicle.

Not all autoroutes are toll roads - see map on this link

https://about-france.com/geo/motorways.htm

Archived