Tariffs

longtemps

“ European-built cars imported to the UK from 2021 are set to become around £1,500 more expensive after the government confirmed that these vehicles would be subject to a 10 per cent tariff from 1 January.”

I assume the above will apply in some form or other to new MH’s produced within the EU. In the short term this will probably give a boost to dealers with any unsold but delivered stock to sell, whilst in the longer term it should boost home manufacturers. Either way, if your in the market for new I think ASAP would be a good time to buy??

longtemps - 2020-05-19 7:37 PM

whilst in the longer term it should boost home manufacturers. Either way, if your in the market for new I think ASAP would be a good time to buy??

If the 'home manufacturers' can first learn how to build better quality vans that don't leak and fall apart within the first 12-months of ownership then you might have something there.

It’s not just UK built vans that fall to bits, having spent £85000 on a new Burstner in 2019 I am disappointed with the poor standard of build haven’t been able to use it much but refitting bits that break or come loose is a joke.

weldted - 2020-05-19 9:17 PM

It’s not just UK built vans that fall to bits, having spent £85000 on a new Burstner in 2019 I am disappointed with the poor standard of build haven’t been able to use it much but refitting bits that break or come loose is a joke.

Unlike Brits Germans won't stand for second best though. I remember being parked up next to a German couple in an older Hymer who told me they'd actually traded down from a newer model Hymer after being disappointed with the build finish. When you spend £85k only to end up with a self build DIY moho....it's time to pack it in or invest in a property instead! I've just been watching YT clips of a guy who bought an old ex-Army DAF truck and fitted it out himself for a fraction of that amount. Lives in it fulltime and used it for serious 'off grid' overland expeditions.

Archived