Temp gage

Keffs

Hi People

I have a 2.8jtd ducato the temp gage is stuck half way up, when you turn it on the needle goes half way up and stays there, disconnected the sender unit it goes back down, change the temp sensors plug in the new one it does the same shorted out the two terminals and the gage goes right up so think the gage is ok,

Any ideas where I try next

Thanks for any ideas

Keffs

If you browse the Fiat forums you’ll note that quite a few people have had issues with the 2.8Jtd temperature display – I’d count myself as one of them.

In my case the engine warms up correctly (thermostat and sender previously changed) as per the OBD-II analyser, but the temperature gauge sits below the mid point rather than on it.

Ideally the first diagnostic would first involve checking the electrical resistance at the disconnected sender terminals to verify that the sender is working within spec and then bringing the engine up to operating temperature and then checking the resistance again. Unfortunately I don’t know the required sender resistance for a correctly functioning sender so that diagnostic must hang in abeyance.

The fact that your needle goes half way up with the ignition on and the sender connected, but drops to zero when the sender is disconnected, seems to discount a mild electrical shorting – although I’d make sure that the area around the sender is clean just in case there is an electrical path being created between the sender terminals there.

The only empirical approach I can suggest is to attach a potentiometer to the gauge terminals and adjust the potentiometer’s resistance until the gauge reaches the mid point. Then having noted what this resistance is, check the resistance at the disconnected sender when the engine is both cold and heated up to normal operating temperature.

There have been forum suggestions that disconnecting the instrument cluster to relieve ‘static build up’ may resolve the issue although the logic of this approach fails me.

Archived