Temp puncture repairs

Guest malc

can anyone recommend a canister type puncture repair kit suitable for a 3500kg van conversion with tyre pressures of approx 60 psi ? i want to carry one as emergency back-up.

Guest PeteC
Remember those canister thing make the tyre un repairable, and are intended as a get you home aid Hope you dont intend to go without a spare

Thanks Pete. We are heading for remote parts and I am only thinking about alternatives to wheel changing in a storm on a mountain ! Definitely wouldn't go without a spare. I didn't know that 'canisters' made the tyre unrepairable so your advice is useful

Guest David Powell
You can have a tyre sealant put into your tyres or you can buy it and D.I.Y. I forget how much it costs, something like £10 per tyre, but it mends punctures immediately, it is on sale at motor home shows, used in aircraft tyres, the one I have in is called TYRESAFE but there are others. I have never had a flat tyre, nor have freinds of mine who use it. I had it put in by HI-SPEED TYRES, Port Talbot.

Guest David Powell
P.S. to my Temp puncture repairs(4) If you go to GOOGLE and search for Tyresafe there are 275 pages on it.

Guest Derek Uzzell
If you GOOGLE on "puncture sealant" you'll find various products mentioned. These are 'preventative' sealants that remain within the tyre rather than after-the-puncture fixers. Although the latter type of product is available as a pressurised canister I'm extremely doubtful it would inflate a motorhome tyre to the required pressure to safely continue on a journey.

Thanks gentlemen. I too would think that the usual canister type would only inflate up to normal car tyre pressures so maybe the 'preventative' method is the method to follow up. (I was hoping to hear from someone who had used a canister but all the answers have been useful). I will surf with Google.Thanks again.

Guest David Powell
So as not to shatter your faith in the Forum, here is the answer to the question you were hoping for:- I used the canister type of puncture repair a while ago. Thank goodness it was only on my garden rubbish trailer with 10" mini wheels. The canister only inflated it half way up, I had to do the rest by pump, but at least the leak was stopped. Next came the nasty bit, I took it to be repaired properly, and when the tyre man took it of the rim he told me it could not be repaired after being sealed by the canister mixture, so he fitted an inner tube. OK for an old trailer, but not for a motor home.

Archived