Temperature gauge and reverse light fault

Mark.scholes

Returning from holiday the temp gauge on my 2004 Ducato 2.8 Diesel went up to maximum but the engine wasn't overheating.

When we arrived home I noticed the reversing lights had also stopped working. I didn't think the two faults were related but reading through some old threads on this forum I found a reply from euroserv to someone with a temperature gauge fault. The reply finished with an afterthought " check if the the reversing lights are working and if not I will go into this further" but that's as far as it went. If euroserv is still out there or if someone else can help with this problem I will be extremely grateful, Mark

First check the temp sensor/sender make sure no wiring has chaffed or rubbing on any metal part and also that it;s connected to sender unit (maybe loose) Somerimes they get corroded, (new sender needed)

Check your wiring loom for any damage and connections for corrosion. Check earth connection behind fuse cover make and break. Ensure it's clean and tight.

Sometimes disconnecting the instrument cluster and reconnecting a few time helps with poor connections (earths especially)

Hi Mark,

Nick (Euroserv) may not read posts regularly so may I suggest you PM or email him.

If you go back to one of his posts you can either click the 'PM' link or open his user profile and copy his email address.

Send him a link to your thread to help him locate it quicker.

Keith (Assistant moderator).

Oooooo!

I know this one!

This fault almost drove me completely mad until i figured it out.

You will definitely also have a blown fuse (think it is No 37 under the bonnet).

The problem is a heater unit on the front of the engine in the plastic air inlet. It is installed in most vehicles that were destined for the European market but it is not called into use until the temperature drops below about -20C co all you have to do is find the electrical plug to it and remove it. Replace the fuse and all will be fine.

Things are a bit tight down there between the radiator fan cowl and the heater unit but it is not that difficult to see and the cable is accessible from above.

It is just one of those things; the vehicle is built for 'Northern Europe' and this could be the UK or Norway so this device could be useful somewhere.

It would be very expensive to replace it with a new one and the vehicle will not miss it, so just disconnect it.

Nick

euroserv - 2019-12-11 1:34 PM

Oooooo!

I know this one!

This fault almost drove me completely mad until i figured it out.

You will definitely also have a blown fuse (think it is No 37 under the bonnet).

The problem is a heater unit on the front of the engine in the plastic air inlet. It is installed in most vehicles that were destined for the European market but it is not called into use until the temperature drops below about -20C co all you have to do is find the electrical plug to it and remove it. Replace the fuse and all will be fine.

Things are a bit tight down there between the radiator fan cowl and the heater unit but it is not that difficult to see and the cable is accessible from above.

It is just one of those things; the vehicle is built for 'Northern Europe' and this could be the UK or Norway so this device could be useful somewhere.

It would be very expensive to replace it with a new one and the vehicle will not miss it, so just disconnect it........

Nick

......... and flog it on ebay.norway

I own a 2006 x244 Ducato PVC, and I was intrigued by the suggestion of a common fault affecting both temperature gauge and reversing lights.

My vehicle has the Thermal Starter cold start option, to which the Heat Flange is an alternative. The heat flange when fitted, bolts onto the inlet manifold. eLearn, which is not always correct, shows the heat flange as having its own 175A fuse direct from the battery, and high current relay under the central plastic shroud.

According to eLearn diagram E2022, the reversing lights are supplied via Fuse F31 (10A), which is situated at the top LHS corner of the LH cab fusebox. I have confirmed that pulling this fuse inhibits the reversing lights. However Fuse F31 also controls relays for other functions including the heater fan. I think that the loss of the heater would be apparent at this season.

One source of power for the instrument panel is Fuse F11 (Secondary Services) located in the engine bay fusebox, third from left at rear of box.) This fuse supplies several other functions, and I would have expected failure of the fuse to initiate a fault code from something. One of the loads supplied by fuse F11, is the Oil Vapour Heater, which is continuously energised when the ignition is ON. The other source of power is from fuse F37 (mentioned above). F37 is located in the LHS cab fuse panel - bottom row 6th from left. Again however, I would expect more symptoms if this fuse had failed.

On my vehicle above the starter motor, there is a black box, the Oil Vapour Condenser/Separator. There are no visible electrical connections to this box, but on the outlet pipe that leads to the air inlet, there is an electrical connector fitting into what looks a tee piece on the hose. I assume that this is where the infamous Oil Vapour Heater is fitted. ( eLearn diagram E5050 clearly shows two separately connected heaters.) Perhaps the design has been modified due to problems with heaters going short circuit, which is a fault that has previously been mentioned on the Fiat Forum, and probably elsewhere.

I have been unable to find a common connection between the temperature indication, and the reversing light, which would cause simultaneous failure.

It is worth noting that there are two adjacent temperature sensors on the 2.8 JTD. Both sensors are difficult to see, and worse to access. Removing the air intake pipe to the air filter is essential for access.

The sensor for the temperature gauge is the larger one with M16 thread, and 22mm spanner size. This sensor contains the sender thermistor, and over temperature warning thermostat, presumably with a common earth connection via the body. As the sensor thermostat is set to close at 107C, pin 1 will normally be open circuit to earth, while pin 2 should have a resistive connection to earth.

The second temperature sensor with an M12 thread and 19mm spanner size is for the ECU, via which the radiator fans are controlled.

Alan

Archived