Temporary insurance for friends?

LittleSkink

You’ll need to ask your existing van insurer to add your friends to your policy as named drivers. Certainly for cars most insurers will do this on a temporary basis so I’d expect it to be possible for a van. My sister did this recently when she needed to use her daughter’s car for a day. It cost £12. How much your insurer wants to charge will depend on how keen they are on the idea and what your friends driver profile is like.

• 2 weeks later...
NFU have the best attitude to this to the extent that my daughter with a USA driver licence was added on a temporary basis for small money. That was a few years back though. Down Under insurance will cover expat diver's licences (RSA, Aussie, Kiwi etc.) BUT they have to be the registered owner of the MH. I lent a South African friend my van and had to pass title to him for the trip and then reregister to me on his return. I don't mind but it increase the number of "keepers" and will ultimately impact resale value.

Probably the best way to lose a friend. With the greatest respect, if you’re friend was unfortunate to have an accident requiring any new body parts you could be off the road for a long time? This is not about being negative having spent over twenty years repairing them but know how long and difficult it can be to source parts.

weldted - 2020-08-26 7:09 AM

Probably the best way to lose a friend..

Neither a Borrower or a Lender Be. I was brought up with that phrase and have lived with it No way would I lend something I owed not even a screwdriver Motorhome no chance my son wouldn't even ask. When we where looking for our first motorhome we looked at some that had been used as hire vehicles the damage that those vans had suffered in 3 yrs by mostly first time users was unbelievable

tonyishuk - 2020-09-01 7:14 AM

It is surprising what you can learn about your friends in cases where something goes wrong. Both good and bad !

I could be corrected, but is it legal to have two, or more, insurance policies on the same vehicle ?

Rgds

It's illegal.

Archived