The end for B+E tests

ColinM50

Saw this on another forum. In order to free up capacity for HGV/LGV tests there's a consultation of cancelling the B+E test, thus younger car drivers will be able to drive cars with caravans and trailers without another expensive and pointless test

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/changes-to-hgv-and-bus-driving-tests-and-allowing-car-drivers-to-tow-a-trailer-without-an-extra-test.

Of course not relevant to us highly skilled motorhome drivers, but it'd be good to let the caravanners drive?

It's a consultation, so our views are needed. Let them know what you think

Younger drivers can already tow caravans and trailers without needing the B+E licence entitlement

Drivers who passed their car test on or after 1 January 1997 can:

- drive a car or van up to 3,500kg MAM towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM

- tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg MAM

If they want to tow anything heavier, they must pass a car and trailer test (B+E).

It's the 3500kg and/or 750kg MAM maxima that currently may demand the B+E test.

Whilst it is a different issue to the B+E test, the whole 3500Kg limit for younger drivers is ludicrous. I am allowed to drive a vehicle over 3500Kg, but my wife is not (she sat her driving test in another country, so doesn't have the +3500Kg allowance on her GB licence..).

If we wanted to uprate our motorhome to 3650Kg, she can't drive it, despite it being the exact same vehicle, just with a different allowance. In order to drive it, she would need expensive lessons and a driving test which is aimed at people who want to drive a 7.5T curtain sider ..

It makes no sense with modern vehicles.

I am sure I read that the EU was going to increase the weight limit for people with 'standard' driving licences up to 3850Kg (but I can't find the article that said this)

hammer - 2021-08-31 5:04 PM

Whilst it is a different issue to the B+E test, the whole 3500Kg limit for younger drivers is ludicrous. I am allowed to drive a vehicle over 3500Kg, but my wife is not (she sat her driving test in another country, so doesn't have the +3500Kg allowance on her GB licence..).

If we wanted to uprate our motorhome to 3650Kg, she can't drive it, despite it being the exact same vehicle, just with a different allowance. In order to drive it, she would need expensive lessons and a driving test which is aimed at people who want to drive a 7.5T curtain sider ..

It makes no sense with modern vehicles.

I am sure I read that the EU was going to increase the weight limit for people with 'standard' driving licences up to 3850Kg (but I can't find the article that said this)

This is not a commentary on whether or not any particular test should be discontinued. I just think that any system where limits are imposed will always threw up anomalies at the margins such as you suggest. That does not, however, invalidate the system as there will always be margins (unless you have a complete free for all). And it’s not always necessary to take expensive lessons to pass specific tests. I’ve never had a single driving lesson in my life and yet managed to pass both the standard and HGV tests.

...I am sure I read that the EU was going to increase the weight limit for people with 'standard' driving licences up to 3850Kg (but I can't find the article that said this)

Historically, there has been strong lobbying within the EU to increase the B-licence weight maximum from 3500kg to 4250kg for ‘not-towing’ motorhomes, the argument being that it was already legal for a B-licence holder to drive a 3500kg motorhome towing a 750kg unbraked trailer - but (unsurprisingly) nothing ever came of this. And, more recently, the UK extended the 3500kg maximum to 4250kg for alternative-fuelled vehicles (with extra training being involved)

https://tinyurl.com/hkstw6ax

But I'm near certain a general B-licence increase from 3500kg to 3850kg has never been agreed within the EU.

Standardisation of driving-licence rules must make good sense and fiddling about with the rules to satisfy ‘special interests’ (eg. motorcaravanners) should be avoided. There are still real oddities (like France's B-licence Code 79) but when all the oldies have died off it might be possible to have a single set of rules that will be applicable to all drivers.

This was probably what you had read; https://www.aboutcampbtob.eu/public-hearing-for-an-upcoming-amendment-of-the-european-driving-license-directive/

Bulletguy - yes, that was the article I had read.

stevec176

What does it matter what the EU are thinking of doing, we are no longer part of it.

Well... if the EU do decide to increase the weight limit their residents can drive with a standard licence, then perhaps there is a chance that the politicians of our sad and lonely island might follow their lead (?)

hammer - 2021-09-02 8:27 PM

stevec176

What does it matter what the EU are thinking of doing, we are no longer part of it.

Well... if the EU do decide to increase the weight limit their residents can drive with a standard licence, then perhaps there is a chance that the politicians of our sad and lonely island might follow their lead (?)

That seems highly unlikely to happen in the near future, to me.

I don't think the current government are likely to do anything that appears to copy the EU - but in time things may change.

:-|

malc d - 2021-09-02 10:48 PM

hammer - 2021-09-02 8:27 PM

stevec176

That seems highly unlikely to happen in the near future, to me.

I don't think the current government are likely to do anything that appears to copy the EU - but in time things may change.

:-|

The European community has nothing to do with it.

Licenses and rules refer to the Vienna traffic convention ratified by the overwhelming majority of countries.

Archived